Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by BennVenn »

Gareth wrote:
There's no currently available electronic VNT controller on the market.
What about a remote mounted throttle controller? IIRC BMW's had them?
The VNT ideally takes a lot of inputs and a lot of lookup tables and a PID controller to perform correctly, It's a ballancing act of suffocating the engine, overboost, maintaining target boost over all exhaust flow conditions, preventing boosting against a closed throttle body, effeciency at cruise, probably more I haven't discovered. In a diesel you still have fueling to ultimately control boost, a little trickier in a petrol.

The only one's i've seen are crude pneumatic boost controllers which bleed boost reference into the vac actuator to modulate it. These require the engine to have a vac pump to operate so not ideal for a petrol and have no safeguards. These VNT turbo's on modern cars all run 20-30psi stock so overboost is possible fairly easy
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Re: Low RPM + High boost = Bent rods?

Post by BennVenn »

With a lazy Saturday browsing forums for ignition maps of low compression boosted motors, it looks like 25deg at 6psi/5k is pretty common (Source: mostly 1.6L turbo'd stock miata motors). The 16LF is a little lower compression so I updated my boost map with almost +10 deg across the board from what I had and WOW!

Boost didn't go above 135kpa even up hill at 5000rpm. It's only 5psi but it now breaks traction when it comes on (grass paddock). A little interesting that more timing = lower boost but would make sense with more work being extracted in torque rather than out the exhaust.

I honestly didn't think I'd feel that familiar turbo pull from this little motor. Not sure if it's a safe tune and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary in the earphones. Keen to put it on the manual car and see how it drives before the 1.8L swap.