E38 weirdness

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
In-Tech

E38 weirdness

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya Everyone,
I have a weird situation going on with a stock LS3 swap into a '55 Chev. I can read and program through the obd2 port with no problems(TunerCats and AVT852). However, my efilive nor HpTuners scanner/programming interface will communicate. I added termination resistors to the aftermarket junk harness, both the ecm(E38) and tcm(T43) which both now "see" them but will still fail to read nor scanner work. The crazyness is that after the termination resistors, my usb obdlink will scan it just fine. It was like this when it came in so I started with bone stock files and modified for VATS delete, and such, since it made no sense that the scan tools didn't work. I don't think it will help but I will take another E38 to try tomorrow.
If any of you have seen this and can help, let me know.
Thanks, If I figure it out I will post. Also, another thing, the car runs great :wall:
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: E38 weirdness

Post by ironduke »

Do you have access to sps? I had one I screwed up doing a 2013 clone to a 2008-2009 E38 and the fix was sps.. I think it wrote to the slave? it was a while ago..
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Interesting you brought up the slave write. One thing I noticed with this 2015 file, when it got to the slave write it took quite a few seconds longer to do the slave write, usually that is quite fast. I am going to try another ecm and a different year file that writes fast like normal. I will post back.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I think Tazzi can help with updating the slave OS when other tools cant, too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

When changing operating systems, its extremely important to ensure the 'parameters' section (Where the VIN and serial is stored) is also cloned over (Full write with most software's do this), but you will also need to do a TIS SPS update so the SLAVE operating system and cals are updated to suit that operating system.

If you don't, you will get some weird behaviors and usually goes into limp mode.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Yes, totally agree Tazzi,
Just a quick update, I took another e38 over and the scanners work fine now :wtf: I'm doing one more experiment in the morning and will post all my findings.
Last edited by In-Tech on Wed May 12, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

It keeps getting funnier :lol: The 2011 Camaro computer/file communicates like normal, then I put the 2015 Camaro Vin in, no other changes and efilive scanner quit talking altogether :wtf: With the 2011 vin AND the engine running, efilive scanner freezes and skips then sets u0073 CAN reset code and the car starts running rough. So, I start hunting through the harness a little and then the grounds, it's all fubar. I'll have the dude fix all that and have another gander, and post again.