VY L67 Manual T56 Tuning Advice

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Mr Tippins
cars: VY Calais Series 2 L67 (T56 swapped)

VY L67 Manual T56 Tuning Advice

Post by Mr Tippins »

Hey all,

I've converted my L67 Series 2 VY Calais to manual (T56 with Malwood Adapter plate), I'm trying to get the tune sorted. I've got an NVRam Module and an ALDL Cable from this website, I'm running a stock The1 Enhanced tune with the Manual Trans Flag set.

I've had a look at threads on this website and I think I've got my head around a good method of tuning and what I want to achieve. I'm just very unsure of how to go from here, the issues I have are:

Speedo is well out (about 58%), I think I need to change the "VSS Ratio - Speed Constant for Automatic Transmission" setting, but when I do the speedo doesn't change, the sensor doesn't seem to be working when logging either...

Car will occasionally stall coming up to a corner with the clutch in, I think this is related to either the "Desired Idle Speed (Drive) vs Coolant Temp C" or the "Desired Idle Speed (Neutral) vs Coolant Temp C" setting. The car seems to do it more on cold nights :think: :think:

Finally, I want to disable all the auto related settings, to name a few I am sure about, the "AT Max Gear RPM", "AT Maximum Upshift Speed (kph)" "AT Maximum Downshift Speed (kph)" and the TCC related settings. Although if there is no harm in keeping them... then I guess I'll leave it? I just don't think they need to be there.

I need some advice and pointers on the matter.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any replies.
Mr Tippins

Re: VY L67 Manual T56 Tuning Advice

Post by Mr Tippins »

So small update, figure I should write things down in case anyone else wants to know the answers.

Regarding the Speedo, that has nothing to do with the PCM, I believe it just "passes through" so the PCM knows whats going on, the calibration has to be done with a Tech2 or similar BCM / Dash editing tool (Envyous Customs do some software, its proprietary tho)

The idle issues should be sorted by copying over some of the stock getrag manual v6 tune, I assume that I can copy and paste most of it, I just have to figure out what I need to copy over rather than closing my eyes and guessing.
The1

Post by The1 »

the pcm uses the speed sensor mainly for return to IDLE. So if you have changed the flags correctly to manual and getrag, then copy over the IAC Tables from the getrag tune that should get it 99%

Yep the VY Cluster has it's own PPK that can be adjusted
Mr Tippins

Post by Mr Tippins »

Righto, so another update.

I bought the Body Diagnostics software from Envyous Customs ($50 for 30 days) and adjusted a bunch of things I have been meaning to do since I bought the car (Fuel gauge was reading backwards, swapped the dash to look like a manual dash enabled police mode and fixed my speedo). The software works a charm and I would highly recommend it; Although I am running into an unexpected issue with my Cruise Control, it has not been calibrated (minimum cruise speed is 70 kmph and it will adjust by 3-5 kmph at a time), calibrating the dash using Body Diagnostics only changes the dash calibration, I believe there is another setting somewhere that will set the Pulses Per Revolution for the rest of the car. The options I have are to buy a physical Speedo Correction Module (https://www.jaycar.com.au/speedo-correc ... e/p/AA0376), Install a new reluctor wheel in the T56 as the 4L60E has a 40 tooth reluctor wheel and the T56 has a 17 tooth reluctor wheel, this will only partially work as I have custom diff gears, swap my BCM for a manual one (may cause pore issues than it solves) or find the PPR setting (Pulse Per Revolution) in the PCM or BCM, wherever it is stored (Maybe someone could help me figure this out).

While doing this I have built a small Excel table for calculating a PPK value, the VY BCM uses the exact same calculation as the VN ECU, as pulled from the 12p tune files by VL400.

Pulse Per Kilometer = (1000/Circumference in meters) * Diff Gear * Pulse Per Revolution (gearbox dependent) / Pre-defined number (I think dependent on the car model)

So for example a stock Calais has a PPK value of 6100

(1000/2.020) * 3.08 * 40 / 10 = 6099.009

For the example I've rounded the wheel circumference to 3 decimal places, I think they did this in the factory. Just for reference, the trans PPR Values.

Trans PPR values
4l60E : 40
T56 : 17
TH700 : 4 (based on forum data)

I have also started calibrating the PCM for the manual trans

Firstly the *VSS Ratio - Speed Constant for Automatic Transmission*, I believe this setting allows the stock 4l60e to know how fast the car is moving.
Secondly as The1 has already mentioned, the *Manual Trans - Set = MT* needs to be set, I believe this setting is to enable and disable some options within the tune.
Thirdly again as The1 mentioned the *VSS Option - Set = Manual Getrag*, this needs to be set, otherwise the speed sensor will read 0 (solving my issue in the initial post).

Regarding disabling the automatic settings in my initial post, I believe that is what the *Manual Trans - Set = M* setting does. There are other settings in The1's XDF (Idle Airflow Learning - Airflow Vs RPM in 5th Gear (Manual Only) For example) that allow you to tune with this setting enabled.
The1 wrote:then copy over the IAC Tables from the getrag tune that should get it 99%
I've had a look at the stock tunes and your enhanced tunes on this forum. Should I copy over the data from your enhanced VT Manual tune (there is no enhanced VY manual tune) (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518) or the factory VY Manual SII tune (viewtopic.php?t=3)?
Mr Tippins

Post by Mr Tippins »

Oh, it's also worth mentioning that I've been having some interesting issues while using TunerPro haha.

The IAC will remain open and hold the RPMs around 3k when I shift gears. This is caused by connecting my computer to the PCM the issue continues after I disconnect the computer, I have to unplug the battery to fix this.
I also cannot make consecutive changes to the NVRam, after any action (Upload, Download, Verification) I need to re-initialize the emulation hardware, the same for real time changes using emulation.
If I connect to the PCM to acquire data (logging) and start my engine I will get data errors galore, I need to start the engine before connecting.
Finally, If I Initialize hardware, begin emulation as well as being connected to acquire logging data, I will corrupt the data stream if I make any changes to the NVRam (similar to when starting the car while connected).