cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Tuning for E10 ?

Post by Charlescrown »

I can vouch for the statement made by gareth. I have had 2 cars I was running a blend of ethanol in and both had horrific damage done to the tank and blockages done by the crap. From now on I will never use alcohol blended fuels.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:As for fuel economy. Consumption will increase by about 5%. So if you are getting for eg. 9.5L/100 then it will be about 10L/100. Fuck all difference really.
I've found that my economy cruising at motorway speeds was fairly much unchanged but driving around local streets the economy tanked. Stuffing around with the timing I've found some of that back.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Charlescrown wrote:I can vouch for the statement made by gareth. I have had 2 cars I was running a blend of ethanol in and both had horrific damage done to the tank and blockages done by the crap. From now on I will never use alcohol blended fuels.

Maybe I'll swap out the fuel filter shortly and see what can be seen there.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Gareth wrote:Vlad might chime in with his experience with rubber and ethanol but from what I understand is that it's only the submerged rubbers (hoses) that are an issue (inside the tank) they turn to a jelly like substance and from memory they will return to a normal state once left in open air!
I don't think the VX has any rubber hose in the tank. Thought most of it was plastic? And I'm fairly sure all the rubber hoses under the bonnet are plastic lined.
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

I would be keen to see if there is any gains to be had. I have wondered if there would be any advantage from using a 10% ethanol blend fuel.

Would likely be hard to see any real gains without a dyno I would have though?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

E10 has a 95 oct rating so if you are knock limited it does help a little bit.

I ran E10 in my vacationer for years and when I replaced the pump the tank and everything was pristine. Then I swapped to 95 pure petrol and had to replace the tank once and pump 3 times over 3 years. There was some red silty stuff in the 95 fuel, it was the same no matter what servo I used exclusively.

Never had issues with E10, 91 or 98 only with 95 for some reason.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

0081 wrote:I would be keen to see if there is any gains to be had. I have wondered if there would be any advantage from using a 10% ethanol blend fuel.

Would likely be hard to see any real gains without a dyno I would have though?
I've never had it on the dyno so really can't say. So far I have added a bit of timing in the low/mid load area's and it doesn't seem to complain.

I will admit that my youngest son has been learning to drive in the last year and I've purposely not added timing down low as it does make the pedal more sensitive.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Seems like a whole lot of posts disappeared since last night?
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

lol^ good to see a sense of humour...
The VE was the first Holden (with their Flex Fuel Technology) to run on Bio-Ethanol fuel.
That is E85 blended fuel (or any blend up to 85%).
All Holden models (except for some imports) post 1986 are listed as compatible with E10.
I would definitely say your timing on the 'regular' 98 was conservative, as your E10 98 obviously would have less energy, or calorific value by comparison.
Over here our gas has different ratings. E10 is rated @ 94 Octane.
ihearyouknockin'.jpg
ihearyouknockin'.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
You can set your A/F Stoich to 14.1:1 to compensate, however HP Academy says "E10 will give you a stoichiometric AFR of approximately 14.1:1. If you tune using lambda then it simply doesn't matter as lambda 1.00 is always stoich regardless of the fuel. In reality E10 blends can be treated in the same was as normal gasoline in most respects".

When I swapped out my fuel pump I peered inside the tank and it was as clean as a whistle. I have been using E10 since Adam was a boy. Never had any fuel related issues because of it.
If you can get it @ a 35 CPL difference I would take it with my ears back. At 40 CPL cheaper they would get knocked down in the rush ha ha.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

my opinion, if you want to run petrol use 98 or if you want the benefit of Ethanol run E85 .... E10 is a waste of time in my opinion.