Checksum Help

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Aedakin
cars: 77 El Camino Classic
86 K5
94 C1500

Checksum Help

Post by Aedakin »

I am new to actually using TP. I find myself unable to edit a bin due to a checksum issue. I can also not try to create an set due to a checksum issue.

What checksum do I need for an 06 GM P59?

And how do I use it?

I understand the function of the bin and xdf, but what does the checksum do?

Thank you for any help
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Checksum Help

Post by antus »

the checksum provides a way for the operating system to see if any unintended changes have been made to the data. this might happen in the case of a hardware failure, or a bad flash of a factory update. If the calibration or the operating system can be shown to be damaged it should throw a check engine light and run a safe mode to prevent possible damage because of for example some far out and incorrect spark timings due to a corrupt file.

For how to create the checksums, look at an xdf that does it, and combine that with other information on this site. I see some of the newer threads are slightly incorrect. On the P59 the ranges are not the same between different OS but there is header information in the bin that tells you where the segments start and stop for that OS. I cant find my information at the moment, but you would look for address ranges near the start of the file, then sum those areas. If you find any thread talking about P59 sum ranges and specifying addresses directly, that wont apply to all operating systems. I'll update the post if I find the information.

Edit the information is here. See the data starting at 0x500 for the start and end addresses for the other segments. Combine this with other details about how to create checksums for the P01 and P59 pcms. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6240&p=92405#p92405
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Ensure you have the correct plugin installed for that XDF.
Look in the xdf to see what is defined, it's near the top, then look in the tunerpro directory \plugins and see if it's there.

Is this a new version of Tuner Pro ??
Some have had problems with it, try an older version ... Like 5.00.9159.00 or close to it.

Last but not least, you can just use Joukoy's Universal Patcher to correct them ...

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

here are the checksums I am using
Attachments
gm-checksum-plugins-master.zip
(34.85 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

It's the xdf that determines the plugin to use if any, it could be using TunerPro's builtin.

What xdf are you using ??

What version of TunerPro ??

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

ok, what am i suppose to do with the Universal Patch? It talks about a tiny tuner, which i assume is the Tuner i see in there. then within the tuner it says to go to Options to select a database. i see no "Options" nor anyplace that says anything about a database. i would think i could do this kind of stuff, but nothing I'm told matches up with anything I. seems all I can do is read and load a bin onto my pcm. It seems i can't even load a different bin/os.

yes, i am running the newest TP 5.00.9332.00, and I don't have an XDF. I am trying to create on. reading the "Read Me Tinytuner.txt got me kinda excited til nothing lined up with it.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

O-boy ... that's a tough road to go!
I hope you have lots and lots of hair, I see many many hours of hair pulling in your future!

What Os ??
[edit] 12587811

Why can't you change to a supported os, like 12587603 ??
[edit] Bad communication, non PCM Hammer related.

There is no documentation on how to create xdf's, the best thing to do is use other xdf's as guides ...
For the most part they are pretty close to the same (1m to 1m, 512k to 512k) except for Addresses, so start with an existing 1m xdf and modify it to suit.

As for Universal Patcher ... If you are going to write an XDF, Universal Patcher is your best friend, study it, get to know how to use it!
It will get you the addresses you need for your XDF ...
There is little documentation, I think Joukoy has just started working on that.

Just start playing/exploring with it on a copy of your bin ...

[edit]
Went back a reread all your posts, I see we've been here before ...

In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Yes, Joukoy has developed an incredible software package. I totally understand the reluctance to building documentation. It's hard enough to get it out of your head and explain in "lay" terms. As in, how do I know what you understand or not understand. That's a hug struggle and it's free. It's badass is all I can say.
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

In-Tech wrote:Yes, Joukoy has developed an incredible software package. I totally understand the reluctance to building documentation. It's hard enough to get it out of your head and explain in "lay" terms. As in, how do I know what you understand or not understand. That's a hug struggle and it's free. It's badass is all I can say.
can you explain it to me? I think I have what youre talking about but but as said in the read me file. i cant find the options to load the database
Aedakin
86 K5
94 C1500

Post by Aedakin »

Gampy wrote:O-boy ... that's a tough road to go!
I hope you have lots and lots of hair, I see many many hours of hair pulling in your future!

What Os ??
[edit] 12587811

Why can't you change to a supported os, like 12587603 ??
[edit] Bad communication, non PCM Hammer related.

There is no documentation on how to create xdf's, the best thing to do is use other xdf's as guides ...
For the most part they are pretty close to the same (1m to 1m, 512k to 512k) except for Addresses, so start with an existing 1m xdf and modify it to suit.

As for Universal Patcher ... If you are going to write an XDF, Universal Patcher is your best friend, study it, get to know how to use it!
It will get you the addresses you need for your XDF ...
There is little documentation, I think Joukoy has just started working on that.

Just start playing/exploring with it on a copy of your bin ...

[edit]
Went back a reread all your posts, I see we've been here before ...
well gampy.I have more time then i know what to do with. I dont want to be a lazy toad sitting in front of the Boob Tube all day. So i stay active outside or in the shop.

So hey, i dont care if it takes me a week and a half. hell, I'd be ok with 3. i just need a freakin XDF. And If i can figure out building a XDF, I want to learn to edit the XDF. I saw how on guy in here adapted an ls PCM for a 2 cyl 750 motorcycle. I have an 84 Goldwing which would be the witches titties if i got fuel injection on it.

Yes, I may be a dreamer, but my hearts of gold. I love helping people.

but... i cant climb this wall. i'm a youngish guy. somewhat tech savy. but this is kickin my Donkey.