Commodore V6's in Sprint Cars

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Holden202T

Commodore V6's in Sprint Cars

Post by Holden202T »

well from what i've seen from other threads there are probably some of you that will know more about this stuff than me ....

i've heard there is a new sprint car class which is roughly a normal sprint car with a commodore v6 in it (i've yet to confirm if they actually have wings or not)

from what i have heard they basically get a stocker v6, put bigger injectors in it and upgrade the fuel system to run it on methanol .... and they can tune it to suit methanol.....

i'd love to know some more about the class, purely out of interest for how these motors go in this situation and how much better they go on methanol etc .... i don't really know what gearbox they either but i believe they have starter motors aswell.

if anyone has any info please share it :)
delcowizzid

Re: Commodore V6's in Sprint Cars

Post by delcowizzid »

we have 6 cylinder ones here in certian citys with wings but they are the old 202's and falcon and valient sixes.but it has been a while since ive been to the stockcars getting to damn exspensive nowdays.the old ones were using commodore diffs and a 3 speed with the shafts welded together for solid 3rd gear lock.clutch was just a lever in the cabin and they had no starters.was a cheap way to get racing back in the day .they go damn near as good as a full sprintcar when all setup ide love to see a V6 version sounds even better.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah saw a few of them race too, never get bored of the sound of a 202 screaming its head off :)

its annoying cause i know they exist but theres next to nothing on the net about them!!
Apples

Post by Apples »

Are you guys talking about NOS Sprint which uses a stock vn-vp engine in a sprint car chassis.
I have a mate with two cars.
He gets junk engines from the wrecker pulls them down checks all the parts are the approved listed parts and reassembles them to go racing.
The only thing I know he changes is the sump and oil pickup, now goes in the side of the block.
The ecm and memcal can be swapped out at the track by officials at any time as they supply them to start with.
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah that sounds like the ones .... i've only ever heard about them from a bloke at work and a mate ... you may know them John Pyne (used to race super sedans and his son Luke is into sprint cars) and also David Robertson (races AMCA Nationals and his dad Stu Robertson used to bash doors with Pyney) but Dave doesn't know much about them and Pyney doesn't like them and hense knows jack about them :)

i'd love you know more about them .... also if you can get any pics of ya mates one i'd love to see em ....

i guess the officials keep the computers so they can make sure everyones on the same tune to keep things more even .... its a good way to do it!
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i wonder if the rules are similar to vn-vp circuit cars they get given an ecu with set tune too but they can adjust the CAS to change timing as its not stipulated that it cant be changed in the rules.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i'd say with these ones someones dynoed the motor with methanol and made a tune and everyone runs that .... they probably have specific injectors aswell .....
Apples

Post by Apples »

Here is the rule book for NOS Sprints
NOS Sprints.zip
(828.04 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
:D
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ok so they can up the rev limit to 6000rpm but they can't fit a different cam .... WTF .... those motors are done and dusted by 5500rpm!!

looks like they have to run 9.5 compression and methanol ... thats a bit silly considering methanol is not needed at those compresion ratios and its pretty much a waste ....

theres not really enough information about the memcal ... it can be stand or aftermarket .... so from that i can assume they can tune it ????

i mean to run methanol you would have to ....
Apples

Post by Apples »

Rev limit 6000 rpm, I am told they pull all the way to the limit, remember exhaust is opened up compared to standard.
The reason for methanol is a fire thing as methanol don't explode like petrol, safety first.
I have been hold both of my mates cars use vn injectors with the ends opened up to flow 2x more for methanol.
Both cars run std ecm with NOS Sprint supplied memcal.
Both cars run bosch motorsport 044 pumps.
I was told standard or aftermarket memcal with standard tune, I don't know what the tune is.
I will try to get more info on the ecm and memcal.
here are some pictures.
NOS Sprint Block.gif
NOS Sprint Block.gif (327.1 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
NOS Sprint Intake.gif
NOS Sprint Intake.gif (369.47 KiB) Viewed 7289 times
NOS Sprint Sump.gif
NOS Sprint Sump.gif (328.16 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
will try to get more.