Is a rule of thumb for MAF at idle 1g/s per cylinder?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

Is a rule of thumb for MAF at idle 1g/s per cylinder?

Post by JohnDee68 »

Is it an accurate rule of thumb to presume an n/a engine should see about 1g/sec per cylinder for a MAF reading at idle?

If so, other than a software issue, what could cause a MAF readings of 0.8 at idle on a n/a VX V6 3800 engine ?

I am still suspecting the software as it also doesn't show other accurate readings.
Am using the following in TunerPro.
VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9e.xdf
VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9c.adx
VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9.bin
Holden202T

Re: Is a rule of thumb for MAF at idle 1g/s per cylinder?

Post by Holden202T »

well my opinion on this would change depending on the cylinder size, obviously bigger cylinder would draw in more air .... you could maybe get an idea of engine size divided by amount of cylinders, but head flow and inlet flow etc would all factor into the number.....

if your seeing way low maf reading then i'd be looking for an air leak after the maf .... and particularly if it at idle, then it might be a leak even after the butterfly ?
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

Re: Is a rule of thumb for MAF at idle 1g/s per cylinder?

Post by JohnDee68 »

Hi Holden202T,

Thanks for that feedback.
You are correct in the sizes of the bores will make a variant to the air intake. I guess as a rule of thumb 1 mg/sec per cylinder would be a place to start. Where through TunerPro, it is displaying 0.8 MG/Sec for a 6 Cylinder, which is why i doubt the reading itself by what it is showing.

I have smoke tested the system, no intake leaks, so I am suspecting it is just a software issue. It is hard to confirm without a different testing equipment to compare. But i will persist in resolving to find out why it reads so low.