Stall Saver

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
v6bucket

Stall Saver

Post by v6bucket »

Been a while since I've posted, so here goes. I've got a 202 with a 230° cam in my HJ Holden ute, with a 4 speed & 3.08 diff gears running with 12P tune. It may not be the problem, but when the clutch is let out in 1st, it tends to want to stall, the rest of the tune isn't too bad. Which of the "stall saver" items do I adjust to lessen the tendency to stall. I'm towing my LJ Torana with the ute on Sunday, so I haven't got a lot of time to experiment, so I hope one of you wise people can steer me in the right direction.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
v6bucket

Re: Stall Saver

Post by v6bucket »

With some searching I've found this( viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9&p=63000&hilit=stall+saver#p63000), my tune is at 250rpm, several others that I looked at are at 350, so I might bump it up closer to the idle speed & see how it goes.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Quick question, do you have a VSS connected and working as intended?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Not yet. The engine is fine when coming to a stop. Stalls as you let the clutch out in 1st or reverse.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Then you might just need to give it some throttle ;)
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Maybe a little more timing in the botton end. I like starting with 20 degrees.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah, needs more revs/better tuning at idle/low rpm areas. But this is pretty typical for a cam of that size on such an small displacement.

As above, might need more timing but also too much timing at light loads makes stalling worse as the engine wants to reverse direction if load it applied too suddenly.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

It idles at 17 degrees then steps in the low 20s. I have to be careful with the timing as it has 10.8 compression & tends to ping with a little cam like it has. I didn't have the logger hooked up today, but it pulled the car trailer like a charm. 2 hours at a 100 km, very happy how it went, I'll fill it up tomorrow to check the fuel consumption.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It will be fine. I run 10:1 on a 212 cam and I had no pinging at all even when I went well past ideal timing. A 230 cam needs comp about where you have it, it's not too much at all and prob high 20s to low 30s spark for idle. Light load areas will be around 40-45 deg. Around low/mid 20s at WOT.

I wouldn't call 230 small for a 202. Cam duration is relative to cylinder displacement. For example a 230 cam in a 202 is like having 240 in a v6 and more like 250 in a 5.7L, it's a decent sized cam. Should see power peak around 6500rpm give or take.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

The 202 in the LJ Torana is 262. The is designed to from 2200-5800, with triples on, it was about 6200, but the VK injection manifold chokes it at 5800.