End of Injection - L67/ecotec

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

End of Injection - L67/ecotec

Post by immortality »

Has anyone played with the End of Injection tables for the Enhanced ecotec/L67 tunes?

I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to injecting fuel earlier during a cold start to allow the mixture to absorb more heat from the cylinder which should improve fuel burn. This might also work during regular cruising?

I run a 82°C thermostat which helps to keep temps down for the supercharger, when temps climb you can feel the PCM pulling timing on boost. The low speed thermofan failed some time ago which has allowed the engine temps to get a little warmer than they used to, when the engine is warmer the fuel economy improves but the supercharger doesn't like it.

The factory likes to run these engines nice and hot to achieve economy, I'm thinking by playing with the End of Injection timing I can have the best of both worlds?
The1

Re: End of Injection - L67/ecotec

Post by The1 »

not alot in it a few kw, but best done on the dyno at steady rpm. Also having oversized injectors helps if your injecting when valve is open.

If you have a different cam than stock it can help the tuning of the cam.
brindo

Post by brindo »

I have found the exact same thing – when engine temp is up the economy is better but its not so good for ignition timing.
I can only change EOI relative to coolant temp, but it makes a pretty big difference with idle stability. I have seen a small increase in mileage by increasing the value, and ended up leaving mine set at max but as The1 says, I need larger injectors to make better use of it.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'm not chasing HP at this point, just chasing efficiency :)

I'm wondering if someone from the LS community can post the End of Injection table for an LS motor, one that references rpm and engine temp if possible?
immortality

Post by immortality »

For those playing along, These are the options available on the ecotec/L67 enhanced tunes for EOI.
ecotec L67 EOI tables.jpg
Ken

Post by Ken »

immortality wrote:I'm wondering if someone from the LS community can post the End of Injection table for an LS motor, one that references rpm and engine temp if possible?
I started a thread here regarding the LS EOIT.
Kojab did some pretty good videos with tests that both answered my questions and left me stumped with what was pointed out.
The LS1's seem to have fixed EOIT referenced by ECT only whilst LS2 and on varied using ECT and RPM.
And although I'd made good gains altering the EOIT, certain throttle position vs rpm didn't respond as good as I'd hoped, that is, until
I discovered how effective the impact factor settings were at achieving my goals, which are altered by map vs ect.
Between the EOIT, impact factor, small VE edits and ignition timing, my nugget accelerates at part throttle hard compared to the std 285kw tune.
Even others driving the car have stated that the convertor feels as though it has little slip now compared to the std 285kw tune.
Though now my tailshaft coupling and diff has all but given up the ghost.
Last edited by Ken on Fri May 06, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Thanks mate.

It would seem the later LS tunes have a lot more settings available than what I have. As I understand it. In our original tune there was only a single setting, The1 created the tables we have now so we can adjust EOI by RPM as well as a Cold and Normal operating temperature table.

Just for a moment, can we clarify exactly what the EOI point is, my understanding is it relates to the intake valve closure point. So we are timing the injection event to occur before the intake valve closes on the induction stroke and regardless of injector PW so the end of the event always occurs at the same point (measured in crank rotation degrees).

I'm just trying to establish when exactly the 408.46° number and where the relevant reference point starts on the V6 motor.
immortality

Post by immortality »

If I look at this table,

It shows that when the engine is cold the EOI is happening at 229° but once the engine is up to operating temp EOI is at 499°. So if 499° is the intake valve closure point than 229° (some 270° earlier) happening when the intake valve is only just opening or even before.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Has anyone ever dis-assembled the ecotec tunes and worked out what other (if any) entries are yet to be determined.
Wondering if the impact factor may still be present.
This thread here on the HP Tuners forum explains in detail the process of the feature.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Ken wrote:Has anyone ever dis-assembled the ecotec tunes and worked out what other (if any) entries are yet to be determined.
Wondering if the impact factor may still be present.
This thread here on the HP Tuners forum explains in detail the process of the feature.

I think The1 did.