Best way to compare two .bins side by side?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
DethRattles
cars: 2004 Grand am gt

Best way to compare two .bins side by side?

Post by DethRattles »

I need to check out these two bins that i have . One is for a 2004 grand am gt and the other is for an se. I want to see if there are any slight changes between either pcms. I had to get a junkyard bcm and didnt know about programming a new one(i thought it was a strait swap) Then i had to get the matching pcm and was told from the junkyard that they were from a gt. The vin states their from an se version. It's bothering me but i dont have the money to spend for a brand new bcm or used gt bcm/pcm.

I'm new to tuning and would like to know the best free software to open these bins. Ive learned how to make an xdf file in pchammer but i dont know if there's a compare option that will flag inconsistencies. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it and if you want the bins to try it yourself then their all yours. I just need/want this done for sanity reasons :)
gmtech825

Re: Best way to compare two .bins side by side?

Post by gmtech825 »

DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

gmtech825 wrote:i like Hxd hex editor

https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD20
When anything says hex it scares me, i know zero about all of those numbers. I was hoping of a more novice type thing unless what you say is easy and i just have to click on a few things. But then how do i figure out what the hex differences are referring to?
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

You can open both files in a hex editor and most editors have a compare function.. Between using that and universal patcher you can get an idea of what the differences are.. Ignore any differences in the eprom area since that will be very different.

Can post the bins up here, I'm sure someone will jump in and check them out..

Universal patcher does let you open up 2 bins and compare then as well, will show tables and switches, etc. whatever it sees as different.
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

ironduke wrote:You can open both files in a hex editor and most editors have a compare function.. Between using that and universal patcher you can get an idea of what the differences are.. Ignore any differences in the eprom area since that will be very different.

Universal patcher does let you open up 2 bins and compare then as well, will show tables and switches, etc. whatever it sees as different.
im trying to get my se version but pcmhammer isnt letting me, i'm contacting tech support. I tried to find an se version bin online but couldn't find one.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

DethRattles wrote:
ironduke wrote:You can open both files in a hex editor and most editors have a compare function.. Between using that and universal patcher you can get an idea of what the differences are.. Ignore any differences in the eprom area since that will be very different.

im trying to get my se version but pcmhammer isnt letting me, i'm contacting tech support. I tried to find an se version bin online but couldn't find one.
Probably been asked already but in car? Best bet is bench..
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Another vote for...https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

& then use CTR/K & shows every single byte changed!
zack4200
cars: 1982 Chevy Chevette 3400 LA1 swapped
1986 Chevy Chevette
1998 Chevy s10

Post by zack4200 »

Universal Patcher makes it pretty easy to compare multiple BINs imo. Open UP, click File>Open multiple BIN and click the checkbox for all of the BINs you want to compare then click 'Open files'.

Make sure you have UP set to treeview (the option next to arrow #1 in my screenshot). Open the tree next to #2 and click a category you want to compare tables from, in my screenshot Accessories is active. next to 'Show', choose the option A|* (see arrow 3) and this will show BIN A compared against every other currently open BIN, all in their own column. (note: your options may say B|* or C|* etc, I think when you open multiple BINs the active BIN is set to the last one opened, ie if you open 3 BINs UP will set the third, C, as active and that will be considered your base/compare to)

Hopefully that's enough get you started in the right direction. I haven't used it a ton so I can't offer much more help than that unfortunately.
Attachments
UniversalPatcher_C9C30N6qQT.png
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

the first question is, are they the same operating system? if they are not, then it makes it harder to compare because things that are the same will (usually) be in different places in the bin.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
DethRattles

Post by DethRattles »

heres the original pcm 2004 grand am gt, has an amd chip
Attachments
grandambenchoriginal.bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 87 times