antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Desired idle not saving on all 3 charts

Post by antus »

says cannot save log,then uploads in the green bar with complete success.
Ive just realised what you said here. So cant save LOG means that you havnt save the bin at all. Normally tunerpro creates a log with the same filename as the bin, and it logs changes there. Because you dont have a bin filename, it cant do the log, so it says this everytime you make a change. save a working copy of the bin to your pc and the log will be created and updated silently in the background and the error will stop happening. The green success means it is working. Check your desired idle in the dashboard, you might be at the physical limits of the throttlebody/iac and the ecm cant make it idle any lower unless you can seal up the intake more or adjust the throtle stop somehow to do it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Maybe upload the bin here and I'll see if I can change it, just to rule out the file or not. Plus if it let me change it, I can upload it so you can at lease have the idle you want.

When I did mine, I found even 100 rpm more made a big difference. I tried 850 rpm and it was too high. 800 was pretty good. My cam has 109 LSA and 58 overlap and pretty retarded centerline so cold warm up is flaky at the best of times, especially with multi hole wide cone modern injectors. My engine being Buick likes the original narrow spray as that's back of valve, the wide cone wall wets when cold so the higher idle is more of a band aid then a necessity.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
jessejames09
cars: 1972 valiant coupe 360ci
1993 ln130 hilux with 3.8 v6 holden motor transplant.

Post by jessejames09 »

I think you have conquered the problem ,as I did wonder if this affected the tune . I read another post on here that said it didn't seem to bother the rt tuning ,and it was a glitch that was yet to be fixed. I'm glad there is a solution to this problem ,as I've tried doing the throttle stop adjustment ,iac just compensates to 700 rpm again. I did read the 'save file as' bit in the ose 140 setup pdf,which I have done. Thank you Antus ,I will give e this ago in the morning and let you know how I got on .
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Im not sure if you got me. The error message is annoying but harmless. You can make it go away, but it will not make a difference to what is happening. Tunerpro is reporting the tune on the car is updating successfully. So if you are not seeing the revs change, its likely a physical problem, not one with the tune or the process.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
jessejames09

Post by jessejames09 »

I was never very good at reading better lines , now i understand what you mean.
I've got some new ideas to try now ,which makes feel I'm finally might be getting somewhere. With out your help i woudve burst a brain veasel .
I'll send an update tomorrow, let you know if it's works . Awesome stuff Antus ,I will sleep easier tonight
jessejames09

Post by jessejames09 »

Well I have an embarrassing admission to make ,it was user error !
I had to move the cursor off the chart that I adjusted, for it to save .
It's always the simple things in life that I miss ,thank you Antus and vlad for spending time with me to get this issue sorted ,sorry I causes mass confusion over stuff all . Huge weight lifted from my shoulders, now I can carry on with the tune :D
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

jessejames09 wrote:Well I have an embarrassing admission to make ,it was user error !
I had to move the cursor off the chart that I adjusted, for it to save .
It's always the simple things in life that I miss ,thank you Antus and vlad for spending time with me to get this issue sorted ,sorry I causes mass confusion over stuff all . Huge weight lifted from my shoulders, now I can carry on with the tune :D

That's what I meant by pressing tab. I found that cells don't always save after typing a value. I always double check by reopening the table/setting to make sure it saved.

The other way other than pressing tab, is to click on another cell after you changed the value. TP5 can be quite buggy sometimes. I had one version that corrupted the BIN when I saved the whole bin. It would change one or 2 hex values right at the end of the bin in what I think is the non cal area. I only worked it out by comparing it in a hex viewer to a non modified copy of 12P and saw a one or two bits flipped in a non cal area.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
jessejames09

Post by jessejames09 »

Ahh I did wonder if thats what you meant after I worked out what I was doing wrong. When you first mentioned it ,I thought you meant to tab the upload button. Well you were right,and it did spur some extra attention to what I was doing ,thank you !
I have almost got the tune all done ,I'm just working the stall side effects things from spiking the throttle ,power steering load while idling ,and a slow to respond to 800 rpm idle after start up . I posted a reply to your cam specs and what you were running ,it didn't publish for some reason . I have low kpa at idle from big cam and fully cnc ported heads ,both from Heartlys motors sports ,which is their super 6 speedway combo.
Is there any tricks other than timing and fuel to get the low kpa areas from stalling out ? The IAC is slow to respond, and I have the stall saver turned up to idle rpm ,but it doesn't seem to do much. Today I'm going to turn idle right down to 400rpm and get the kpa as high as I can in those charts for low revs ,hoping this will work .
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Im not an expert with big cam tuneing but I have heard that disabling the "RPM Derivative spark control option" flag which is where the pcm adjusts spark at idle to try and smooth the idle can help to stop it fighting the cams airflow trying to smooth it out.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's used for take off, idle drive and gear smoothing spark reduction. Turning that off has no effect on idle spark. I generally turn that off so that power isn't robbed on take off/gear changes and much more responsive throttle, but it does rely on being much more accurate on tuning and having good rear end bushes and engine mounts are a must so that you don't get idle drive/low speed oscillation (bunny hopping)

The flag you are talking about is closed loop idle spark or something along those lines. Larger cams benefit from having it left on in my experience.