Parallax USB-RS232 converter (DIY ALDL ODB1 cable)

Programs / Tools / Scripts
cidium
cars: 92 s10 blazer

Parallax USB-RS232 converter (DIY ALDL ODB1 cable)

Post by cidium »

Hi,

I am new here at the forums. I am posting here because of a project I have been working on. Long story short, I am making a OBD1 cable to connect my laptop to my 92 blazer. I found the parallax USB to serial converter and decided to use that as the heart of my cable.

Here's a look at the converter:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessori ... fault.aspx

I am also using tunerpro 5, since this new to me I was wondering if any knows if tp5 and this parallax converter are compatible? My next question is if they are compatible should tp5 initialize the converter without being connected to the ALDL port on the car or does it need a to connected before it will find the converter?

thanks
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Re: Parallax USB-RS232 converter (DIY ALDL ODB1 cable)

Post by charlay86 »

It should work fine as it uses an FTDI chipset.
TunerPro should be able to detect the converter without it being connected to the vehicle.
cidium

Post by cidium »

Well, there's my problem. I can't get tunerpro to see the cable. Got the com port set in TP, using the TP plug-in. What else needs to be setup in TP for this converter to work?

thanks
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

What plugin are you using? The native TP logging engine wont recognise it and the plugin from here (https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=590) wont detect a blazer ECU.

If you have the one wire ALDL interface attached to it there will be echo'd data. So you should be able to use a terminal program to send data and see the echo on the screen.
cidium

Post by cidium »

So, are you saying TP won't work on my blazer?

92 blazer 4.3l (vin) W
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

No, he is saying that our 'oseplugin' available on this site wont. That is fine, you dont need it.

Your cable will need a diode and a resistor on the tx and rx pins (not sure which way around, a search should find it), then the other end of those components connect together and to the 1 wire aldl pin on the vehicle. Then you'll need a matching adx for your car to monitor the engine.

edit: and a max232 to convert TTL to RS232 voltages!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
cidium

Post by cidium »

Yeah, I figured that the Parallax converter would need a circuit to converter the ALDL stream to the RS232 format. You can see my project here in the Parallax forums.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.p ... 1-cable%29

Over at tunerpro I grabbed the datastream definition for the L35 92-94 truck. So here's the problem, after converting the ads file to adx I load it up in TP try to initialize the Parallax converter with and without the RS232 circuit attach and TP says it can't initialize the hardware. I have even had this whole setup hooked to the ALDL connecter and nothing. So, I guess starting from scratch is the best idea and was wondering if I have the Parallax converter hooked up to the laptop via the USB cable and all the drivers and com port is right should TP see the USB to RS232 converter and initialize it without being hooked to the ecm.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Tunerpro should say it can see the cable, as it'll detect the echo. You must have an electrical fault, or configuration problem :(
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Just tested a USB cable with no ECU attached and it wont recognise it - looks like TP sends out data expecting a certain response not just echo :thumbdown:

Try a terminal program and see if your circuit echos characters back.
cidium

Post by cidium »

thanks everyone for the input. Going to have to test this cable later but will report back with what I find - thanks

Oh yeah, any suggestions on an alternate ALDL to RS232 circuit, maybe one that is known to work on OBD1.