gtech mains power supply??

Programs / Tools / Scripts
sprattzvx
cars: Vxl67
Ke30 2door

gtech mains power supply??

Post by sprattzvx »

scored a gtech pro rr, but its got no mains power supply, and the dude forgot to put the 12v ciggy cord in. he`s cool though when i told him he had a tracking no to me 15 min later. i took the unit down to jaycar to get a mains 12v power supply, but the 1.5 amp 12 v one they had didnt power it up. how much amperage would it draw?? also i expressed concern that the plug polarity could be backwards and it might fry something and he reckons na just wont fire up but we only tried one way.
could he have fried it, or is 1.5 amp just not enough??
The1

Re: gtech mains power supply??

Post by The1 »

would think it would chew that much, id try polarity.
sprattzvx
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

ok, so reverse polarity wont kill it nigel?
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

Their website (http://www.gtechprosupport.com/support/ ... m#Hardware) says a 1A fuse is enough.
The1

Post by The1 »

devices usually have protection.
sprattzvx
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

relief! shouldve tried the other way, reversible plugs on the supply. no tech specifications in the gtech manual.
festy

Post by festy »

That website lists an operating voltage of 9-15v, but mentions it will get hot at 15v.
That sounds like it has a linear regulator to me - they're usually pretty good with reverse polarity.
There's that word again - "usually" ;)
I didn't see any mention of an internal fuse, so don't think it has crowbar protection for reverse polarity - unless it relies on the cord's fuse for that.
Did the one you tried have a fuse, or was it just "rated" to 1.5A?

Did the Jaycar one have the correct plug? The outer barrel might have been the right size, but the center pin may not have been making contact.
There's two standards with DC barrel connectors, and they don't play well together.
sprattzvx
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

festy wrote:That website lists an operating voltage of 9-15v, but mentions it will get hot at 15v.
That sounds like it has a linear regulator to me - they're usually pretty good with reverse polarity.
There's that word again - "usually" ;)
I didn't see any mention of an internal fuse, so don't think it has crowbar protection for reverse polarity - unless it relies on the cord's fuse for that.
Did the one you tried have a fuse, or was it just "rated" to 1.5A?

Did the Jaycar one have the correct plug? The outer barrel might have been the right size, but the center pin may not have been making contact.
There's two standards with DC barrel connectors, and they don't play well together.
festy the barrel was the other thing we did have a look at. bit of a guessing game. the supply was overload protected and regulated.
i really just wanted to see the thing power up, im fully paranoid about ebay buying. but the power supply would come in handy mitght have to chase one down, only come in the us voltages far as i know. thought it was a good score though, original box, mint instruction book and pass cd and even the gtech stickers. $150. its the last gtech rr before the gps ones.
festy

Post by festy »

Google says they're center positive btw
sprattzvx
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

i googled "gtech pro polarity power supply protection" got nothing... :think: always the way.