wideband O2 mounting position?

Programs / Tools / Scripts
dooda

wideband O2 mounting position?

Post by dooda »

Hi all :)

quick question , i just bought a innovate mtx-l wideband kit.
What is the best position to mount the sensor ? obviously the standard narrowband is on the left bank of extractors , is it okay to stick with this position? or is it better to have it after the merge pipe so its reading both banks?

thanks all :thumbup:
Holden202T

Re: wideband O2 mounting position?

Post by Holden202T »

i've generally put them after the collector on my installs
dooda

Post by dooda »

Sweet thanks mate :thumbup: I presumed it would be better behind the collector so it was measuring both banks of exhaust flow but just wanted to check :D

Cheers mate
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Post by Six_Shooter »

It won't really matter.

Placing the WBO2 sensor after a merge will measure an average of all cylinders, but depending on where the merge is this can cause a long delay in reading the changing AFR. Keep this in mind when you're adjusting VE tables.

Placing the WBO2 sensor to read one bank, will usually read very close what all cylinders will, since they should all be somewhat close on burn in a well running engine.

The thing you want to make sure of is that the WBO2 sensor is placed in the top third of the pipe, vertical being ideal, and not too close to the engine that it overheats.
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
dooda

Post by dooda »

thanks for the response mate :thumbup:

If i place it after the merge pipe for both banks , like you were saying about the delayed readings. Do you think this will make a huge effect on my tuning the ve tables etc ? or will the delay be minimal ? I suspect the delay will be fairly minimal

antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I would say it would be fairly minimal. Lots of people take the readings from the end of the exhaust without problems and it would be quicker to react than that.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
dooda

Post by dooda »

sweet :D
ill run with mounting it at the merge pipe then

Thanks for the input all :)
Helical
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)

Post by Helical »

I have been meaning to ask the same question, so I'll hijack for a second if I may...

I took a photo of my exhaust when I did the last service. I'm thinking of installing the wideband O2 sensor where the red arrow is, the narrowband is on the other bank on the header for the rear pair of cylinders. Anyone see any issues with this placement?

Also, how do you drill the hole and weld the bung in without ending up with swarf in the cats? I am thinking grease on the drill bit for the hole and don't blow holes welding.

Troy
Attachments
HELICAL Exhaust.jpg
HELICAL Exhaust.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 6065 times
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Post by Six_Shooter »

There will be enough of a delay that when you're tuning, especially during transitions, you will need to keep in mind at what cell and RPM you were in before the reading you're tuning for.

I.E. You're revving through the RPM range and you see a point at 70 KPA and 2200 RPM, that seems lean, you will, depending on the delay, need to loo at the cell at 60 KPA and 2000 RPM, or even lower sometimes to adjust for the proper cell that is the issue.

GM thought this was enough of a problem that many cals actually have O2 lag qualifiers that is used for O2 correction.
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.