ALDL logger VB10

Programs / Tools / Scripts
VX L67 Getrag

Re: ALDL logger VB10

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I always love testing new toys if timing (all pun intended) is correct for having a vehicle & everything to test!
Last edited by VX L67 Getrag on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdh
cars: WL Statesman
VT Berlina

Post by sdh »

Hey Tazzi,
I'm more than happy to help out with testing. I've got a VT commo and a WL Stato (which uses a bit of CAN and ALDL I believe). I've built an ALDL to serial converter which is working a treat and have written some software using VBA through excel (because that is all I had access to at work which displays the chatter somewhat simply. I can post the code but I don't know that it will help at all.
I've got VB10 at home so if you want any help debugging and filtering I may be able to help. I have an oscilloscope as well but other than show what VL400 has already posted I can't see it being much use for this project. It is fairly ancient with no colour, computer interface or even floppy drive.
commodorenut
cars: VY Monaro 427ci SuperCharged
VK Group A LS2 671 Supercharged ( in the build )

Post by commodorenut »

Jayme wrote:could always just make it in c#... ? ive played with it a bit, its not super difficult if you already know your way round vb. although I did have lots of help from someone who knows C like the back of his hand :P

Knowing someone that know c# like that back of his hand...would be handy right now

Im 2 weeks in to learning it...doing quite well i think
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

commodorenut wrote:Knowing someone that know c# like that back of his hand...would be handy right now

Im 2 weeks in to learning it...doing quite well i think
C# and VB are essentially the same. Its pretty much only syntax thats different. :thumbup:
Really the only differences which I find is C# doesnt have variable overflows (ie.. uint8_t MyByte = 0x24BB //this would end up as 0xBB as only first 8 bits are kept), and also C# allows unsafe code, which 99% of the time can be made safe.

Almost every project I make is actually composed of both C# and VB. I tend to make algorithms, bit shifting/manipulation and image alterations in C# so I dont have to worry about overflows. Same thing can easily be done in VB, but you save a couple more instructions in C#.. which can save time if bruteforcing algorithms which are run over thousands of bytes. And generally do the rest of GUI based items in VB. Both can be run from the same project, as they all compile down to the same machine code.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726