What do I need to buy to tune my worked VN 5L?

Programs / Tools / Scripts
jon
cars: VN calais 5L
VX SS

What do I need to buy to tune my worked VN 5L?

Post by jon »

Could someone please help me out with a parts list on what I need to real time tune my Vn 5L. I am a mechanic by trade and have a vn project car with a memcal that is not right for the engine. I have a laptop ready to go. Just some hints on the replacement for the memcal where to buy it all from.
Thanks, Jon
Holden202T

Re: What do I need to buy to tune my worked VN 5L?

Post by Holden202T »

theres a few ways you can do this:

1. use data logs to make changes to the tune offline, then erase and re-burn the changes back to the stock memcal, and just keep doing that till you happy with it. downside, very slow method and requires uv eraser and eprom programmer and memcal adaptor for programmer.

2. get the realtime kit available in the for sale section here from VL400 which will allow you to data log better than a vn/vp data logging, and will also allow you to read and write to the computer in realtime while you drive if you wish. VL400 can supply you with serial or usb interface whichever suits your needs.

the second option is obviously more cost, but it is also something you can move between cars and once you've finished tuning a car you can just burn the tune to a stock memcal and then you don't need the realtime computer in that car anymore.
jon
VX SS

Post by jon »

Thank you so much for that. I have sent VL400 a PM to find out more. Looking forward to playing around with it. At the moment the memcal I have causes the engine to hunt at idle and since the 3500 hi stall has been put in it hunts so bad it causes the engine to stall. It wasn't so bad when the flywheel was a little heavier with the 2500 hi stall. The ignition needs to be advanced and more fuel as I get higher in the rev range also. I have another question, Is it worth added a knock sensor to the computer? Its great to get as much ignition advance as possible before the engine pings but if you go for a drive on a hot day it would be good to have a knock sensor retard the timing automatically.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Knock sensors can be worth having, but the v8 knock filters (the extra little board inside the memcal) to suit the 5L can be hard to find. Many of the ebay ones are v6 ones sold as v8 ones, so you need to be careful. The genuine ones have a number stamped on them starting with 1F....

As for knock/timing/temperature, the ecu calculates a 'charge temperature' which is the temperature of the air in the cylinder. Its somewhere between the air temperature as measured by the MAT sensor (manifold intake temp) and the CLT (CooLant Temperature). It will use this value to make slight fueling and timing changes to compensate for temperature. In general, you dont need to touch the temperature settings, just leave them factory and tune it for temperature on the day and the car should be fine in hotter or colder weather.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
jon
VX SS

Post by jon »

I have ordered the ECM NVRAM and USB Comms interface from VL400. The next question would be what software do I need to start playing around with the tune?
Does one program do the lot or do I need different programs to data log and tune?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you will need tunerpro RT 5 (tunerpro.net) and you will probably also need VL400's flashtool and $12P which can all be found on the forums here.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Click on the 'faq' link at the top of the site, and have a read of the guides there to get started. Theres a lot to take in so see how you go and come back if anything needs clearing up.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

In the plugin thread (first post here https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=590) is a pdf giving a overview of using TunerPro for RT and offline changes. I am adding a heap of stuff to cover the initial setup so will PM you a copy of the draft - nothing like someone just starting out to make sure it all makes sense :thumbup:
jon
VX SS

Post by jon »

Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.
jon
VX SS

Post by jon »

Received all my parts today. A real big thanks to VL400 for posting them out to me!
Not sure if I have run into a wall with the memcal though. Was going to piggy back the memcal on the NVRAM but then noticed a big sticker on it saying "warranty void if not installed by electronic automotive"
Obviously its one of there custom memcals. can I still use this memcal and put the knock filter board on it and use the limp home mode? I know they encrypt the data on there chips so they cant be copied. Will this confuse the NVRAM?