What do I need to buy to tune my worked VN 5L?

Programs / Tools / Scripts
Holden202T

Re: What do I need to buy to tune my worked VN 5L?

Post by Holden202T »

i don't think it will be any different to any other memcal as far as limp mode and knock filter!
jon
cars: VN calais 5L
VX SS

Post by jon »

What ADX file do I use. The NVRAM came pre loaded with $12P. The car is a VN 5L auto. The engine starts but idle is very rough and stalls if I dont give the pedal a tap every now and then.
Stuck on tunepro rt. Have setup the usb-com port setup and did the test and seems to be fine. Now apparently I need an ADX file to load first?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

all the adx and xdf files etc needed are included in the $12P zip file.
jon
VX SS

Post by jon »

Thanks for that. Got all that part sorted out. Just having trouble with uploading my modifications to the ecu. Apparently there is a bug in the ose plugin that vl400 is trying to work out.
jon
VX SS

Post by jon »

Just wondering. I have a 160 deg F thermostat installed. Will this upset the ecu as in the engine only getting to 77 deg C?
engybenjy
cars: All makes and models/ dyno shop

Post by engybenjy »

Hi Jon, I think you will find that 160f is equal to 71celsius so that should be about right?
The1

Post by The1 »

closed loop on most models starts low in 40's, though other items like lean cruise, canister purge etc start in the 80's, so you will have to adjust scalars to wind them back a bit.
jon
VX SS

Post by jon »

Thanks for that. I wasnt sure if changing the thermostat to a colder one would upset the ecu. I was making some changes to the VE table and the AF ratio wasnt changing until I brought the revs up a bit and it went into closed loop mode. open loop mode I get about 12.1 at idle then closed loop I get 14.7. The only way I can get closed loop is to bring the revs up then bring back to idle but then it will go into open loop mode a short time later.
Jon
engybenjy

Post by engybenjy »

Yep I had the same experience last week when I did my first VN 5.0 litre stroked to 355 and antus gave me some good advice

Well for $12P in tuner pro i'd set the scalars "Closed Loop Params - Closed Loop minimum coolant temperature" and "Closed Loop Params - Closed Loop minimum coolant temperature While Idling" to the maximum temp so they never come on (151 degrees C). Just remember to turn them back on when your done tuning to save some fuel.
antus
Site Admin

once I had adjusted the scalers out to the max it did not go into closed loop therefore you are able to adjust your cells to the correct AF ratio - this worked for me
engybenjy

Post by engybenjy »

the other problem I encountered as a complete beginner was getting the idle where I wanted it. In the end it was ok but I was still flying a bit blind as to what settings the steppers should be at. In saying that I have been thinking about how to tune the idle more effectively and next time I am going to try this.
1 disconnect or block off the IAC and control the idle rpm with the throttle stop.
2 find the appropriate idle rpm and carefully tune that area
3 reduce the idle rpm and tune that area as carefully as I can until it wont take anymore
4 reintroduce the IAC and see if I can get it to behave factory

I would love to see what others have done or how they go about systematically setting up the idle fuel ignition and IAC