starting with a N13 tune

Programs / Tools / Scripts
mathew11
cars: 18LE N13 Pulsar Q

starting with a N13 tune

Post by mathew11 »

Hi I am trying to get my head around this, What do I need to get started to tune a N13 Pulsar.

hardware
software
spare chip/s type

anything eles?

Cheers.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Re: starting with a N13 tune

Post by festy »

For software, you'll need Tuner Pro (free), plus the bin and xdf files for the N13 from https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... t=62&p=372

Hardware - the cheapest way to get started is to grab an eprom burner off ebay (~$50) and either a few flash chips (27SF512, about $2 each) or a UV eraser (~$15).
With the UV eraser you can keep re-writing your original eprom, but I'd strongly recommend getting hold of a spare memcal and replacing the eprom with a socket for a flash chip.
That way you will always have your original one as a backup, and flash is much quicker/easier to erase than windowed eprom.

But to really have a great tuning setup, replace your memcal with one of VL400's real-time modules and add one of the high-speed comms hardware options, and use the 12P bin with antus' Tuner Pro plug-in.
That way you get live datalogging, real-time tuning (i.e. tune while the engine is running), and a whole bunch of features like wideband support, VE learn (fuel self-tuning) etc.
You'd have to do a bit of copy and pasting to start with to load the N13 maps etc into 12P, but it's not rocket science.

The real-time conversion is well worth the cost - even if just for the high speed datalogging so you can see what you're tuning...
The Getting started guide is a good place to start, it should explain most of what you need to understand.