Innovate LM2 Wideband Info

Programs / Tools / Scripts
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Re: Innovate LM2 Wideband Info

Post by charlay86 »

Try swapping the wideband into a narrowband hole, if things improve it pretty much confirms exhaust leak theory.
vsslpr
cars: VS s1

Post by vsslpr »

so I've recalibrated my o2 sensor and replaced plugs and lead which were long overdue for a change.. so it seems that the wideband is reading much better and most of the time reading the commanded AFR. There are spots early on when it just turns on where it tends to show leaner than commanded..
i think im pretty confident that my wideband is ok and doing the right thing. i wonder if anyone has any logs they could share with their wideband on a stock tune? my car is a vs v6 na- im running The1s enhanced bin on my NVRAM. it would just be interesting to see another log on a factory tune what the wideband does. should it be spot on or is the factory tune not that good?
charlay86 wrote:Try swapping the wideband into a narrowband hole, if things improve it pretty much confirms exhaust leak theory.
just say i had an exhaust leak which i quite possibly could (i suspect in the y-pipe after the exhaust manifold and before the wideband sensor) would the effect of this on the wideband vary with speed the car is moving or coolant temp? because what im finding is that as i get further into a run the wideband reading tends to get much closer to commanded in both open and closed-loop idling and closed loop fueling in driving.
4minsIdle.JPG
4minsIdle.JPG (90.02 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
6mins.JPG
6mins.JPG (127.68 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
9minsIdle.JPG
9minsIdle.JPG (92.52 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
13mins.JPG
13mins.JPG (122.76 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Just thought I'd post this up. This noise was detected elsewhere in the car and was coming in from the other device power feed and was proven to be coming from the MTX-L heater circuit. So the answer to "does the wideband switching heater circuit create enough noise to worry about?" is YES! Be careful where you feed it from. Keep the power feed away from the ecu sensor power lines. The wideband was cold at this point, so it was working to heat it up. Later on when its warm the frequency of the noise is decreased, but its still there.
Attachments
wideband power noise.png
wideband power noise.png (119.26 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yes this is very important and often overlooked. Small gauge wiring makes it even worse.

I ended up using a ferrite bead around the power wire so I could listen to the radio again, all i got was fuzz until the mtx-l warmed up then it went to intermittent fuz while it was heating.
vsslpr

Post by vsslpr »

so im kind of a bit lost here a bit.. is it the o2 sensor heating circuit that causes noise in the o2 sensor signal wires? if so why are all 4 wires bundled together?
OR is it noise from the stereo system/amplifier power wire which causes noise in the o2 sensor signal?
The1

Post by The1 »

The fact that the heater input runs from the same input as the wideband controller can cause fluctuations then as a heater isn't a stable device.
vsslpr

Post by vsslpr »

so does this mean the MTX-L is naturally going to have some noise in its readings while the heating circuit is active? and when temps get up a bit it gets more accurate because heating is required less?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

No, it filters the noise just fine for what it does and gives good readings. This noise is on the power circuit so gets in to other nearby devices. How they cope depends on their internal filtering, my point is just to know its there and be careful where you connect the power. In my case the power to the wideband was connected near to the power of this other device. That was a bad choice, and we moved the location the wideband power was connected to in the loom away after seeing this.

This noise is not unique to the MTX-L and is not a problem provided its hooked up correctly. There is a lot of noise generally in car circuits, and anything with switched sudden power draw will cause this. You just cant see it without a scope as its quick and a multimeter will miss it. I just thought i'd post this up to give a visual idea of what happens and why you need to be careful with your power wiring.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vsslpr

Post by vsslpr »

Good info- I've wrapped wideband wires from the sensor to the gauge in aluminum tape because I was worried about noise in the wideband signal coming from my 4ga amp power wire. I never thought of the other way around but it doesn't seem to be a problem I'm taking +12v for the wideband power from the ciggie power. What about the other way around- just say if my power source was noisy would that have an impact on wideband accuracy? or would it only be a problem if the ground was noisy?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Most devices in cars have sufficient filtering to handle power supply noise and to operate as they are meant, but its a quality vs price thing. It just doesnt hurt to be aware of it and follow best practices for power source location to minimise the effect - dont power your wideband from a T piece in the power wiring too close to anything your worried about.