antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: PCMHacking.net LS1 Flash Tool - comment thread

Post by antus »

its a .net 4 based app, so 4.0 or newer should be fine. I havnt seen that before. I suspect maybe its a virus scanner interfearing? Is there a 3rd party virus scanner running?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

What cable are you using?
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

antus wrote:its a .net 4 based app, so 4.0 or newer should be fine. I havnt seen that before. I suspect maybe its a virus scanner interfearing? Is there a 3rd party virus scanner running?
Do you have an AppDomain Unhandled Exception handler? If you don't add one that catches and prints the full stacktrace/exception to a message box. I've got some code you can use if you want.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

That wont help, its packed and obfuscated which is why i suspect and overzelous virus scanner. In theory there is a way to convert the packed trace to something usable but I think this is at the loader stage, not in the app, so theres not much point investigating the app code. For this rare case its probably best to turn off the scanner while its running if that fixes it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
dzidaV8
cars: 2006 Pontiac GTO
1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
1988 Pontiac Firebird L31 Vortec swap

Post by dzidaV8 »

I have .NET 4.6.1 installed, and the only antivirus I have is Microsoft Security Essentials. I turned it off but nothing changed.
I have AVT-852 cable but it doesn't matter if it's connected or not.

I have tested on 3 different PCs with the same error. No information, code or anything, just "app stopped working" and closes.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I dont think I can explain that one, especially on 3 different PCs. Ive just re-tested on an up to date win 10 and its working fine here. The only thing I can think of is if your file was corrupted somehow, to compare check the md5 or sha1 sum matches. This is for the v1.07 exe currently available in the release thread:

Code: Select all

md5: 6a3bfa6ca77750e635505a6fdd0b4bcd
sda1: 29fe2b756fa80041571d06568e71ffc879ce2618 
dzidaV8

Post by dzidaV8 »

Checked md5 checksum and it matches, so file is OK. I'll check on one more PC...

I wonder if my localization settings screw the app, I'm from Poland, but I already checked with US (. as decimal character) and no change.

[EDIT]
Checked on 4th PC - still the same issue.
Here's the error info generated by Windows, if it is of any help.
Attachments
LS1flash-free error log.zip
(988.23 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
dzidaV8

Post by dzidaV8 »

Checked on 5th PC with virgin fresh Windows - still not working. Something must be wrong with the software, as it's unlikely to have the same issue on 5 different PCs...
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

dzidaV8 wrote:Checked on 5th PC with virgin fresh Windows - still not working. Something must be wrong with the software, as it's unlikely to have the same issue on 5 different PCs...
Works here fine?

Just to check.. are you trying to run it in a virtual machine or similar?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Its a good thought, but theres nothing anti vm or anti sanbox in there. The confuser protections are pretty loose to avoid weird problems and keep it useable. I just confirmed the download from the site runs fine here in a vmware machine. I also wondered if confuser cant work with various other non-standard security layers, so I configured EMET https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/jj653751 for maximum protection and the app still runs fine (some other apps do not but such as firefox isnt stable with load address randomisation). EMET does most if not all stuff other security software might, so I think this is a pretty conclusive test that the app isnt fragile.

I suspect its something core missing from windows, but the only dependency is .net newer than v3.5. I intentionally targeted .net 3.5 for compatibility back in 2014, but these days v4 or v4.5 would probably be fine. Maybe I could rebuild it if we found it was a problem, but the lastest 4.5.x version still runs 3.5 code fine, so I dont think there is a need. Without being able to reproduce it and with only one user reporting it (even on 5 of that users machines) there isnt really much I can do unfortunately.
Attachments
ls1-flash-free withEMET max protection.png
ls1-flash-free withEMET max protection.png (85.37 KiB) Viewed 7447 times