most-used-tool-flashtool.JPG (40.19 KiB) Viewed 8391 times

annnnd for lack of a better hex editor:
most-used-tool-xvi32.JPG
most-used-tool-xvi32.JPG (121.74 KiB) Viewed 8391 times
VX L67 Getrag

Re: PCM Hacking Tools - Share What You Use

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

same as jayme, but 010 editor for hex!

I use HPtuners for OBDII supported stuff, soon hopefully to change!

Used to use Kalmaker for older gear but why bother now when theres a better forum/support out there!
EagleMark
cars: 1994 Buick RoadMaster LT1
1972 IH 345 16197427 PCM Project
1990 Chevy 1227747 HighWay Lean Cruise

Re: Good PCM Hacking Tools For OSX

Post by EagleMark »

durahax wrote: But..but.. everyone I see with a Windows laptop has it plugged into a power outlet at all times, that's not going green. I kid ;)
Does the MAC really use that much less power? Or is it just old batteries in Windows laptops?

There's some electrical dangers running power to a laptop and EFI Live/HPTuners stuff! Something about 2 grounds and... Fried boxs, although some have gotten away with it many have not! I never charge and tune! Just keep batt replaced every 3 years or so, I always have 2 just in case.

My 17 inch HP laptop with a new 12 cell batt can get 3-4 hours tuning running one USB for data and one USB for RoadRunner Emulater. Now this is an entertainment/desktop replacement so it's a power hog and not really meant to be portable.

On the other hand my Panasonic toughbook CF-74 with a SSD hard drive get's 6-8 hours doing the same. I think it may go quite a bit more but in a vehicle during daylight I've got screen brightness up HIGH! These are set up with loads of power saving features like turning off WAN, WIFI, Bluetooth etc... the FN keys are way cool for things like screen brightness. Has batt calibration program so your times are accurate, not just percent. Still has plenty of USB and Serial port! Anti Glare screen may be one of the best options it has and makes a huge difference in visibility in sunlight compare to most laptops are gloss screen.

Anyway not a hack tool but it's a great Tune Tool! :punk:
Holden202T

Re: Good PCM Hacking Tools For OSX

Post by Holden202T »

EagleMark wrote:There's some electrical dangers running power to a laptop and EFI Live/HPTuners stuff! Something about 2 grounds and... Fried boxs, although some have gotten away with it many have not! I never charge and tune! Just keep batt replaced every 3 years or so, I always have 2 just in case.
I believe the issue is only when charging through a car charger and using external power to charge is ok, like from the house .... obviously this is only viable for if your at home or on a dyno etc :)
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah thats what ive heard. Issues with crappy power from modified sine wave inverters, usually running off the car.

I use HxD as my hex editor reconfigured to double the width to make better use of 1920 wide screen.
HxD.png
HxD.png (20.99 KiB) Viewed 8338 times
I have used efilive and hptuners, though personal preference is to efilive as I think their app is better organised, their licensing is fairer and they seem like a good bunch of people from reading their forums. For E38 vehicles with parametric EQ EFILives built in 'virtual VE table' functionality is a lot better than having to use a 3rd party app written by a forum user http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthrea ... ersion-3-5 But they can both get the job done.

When writing pcm code I tend to use the GNU assembler, but I guess most people would never need to go there.

You cant go past excel or libreoffice for doing random table scaling or adjustments or any other calculations you find yourself needing to move data around between tunes or take engine hardware modifications in to account.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Aside from whats been listed already my most used apps are UltraEdit and UltraCompare.

And for HC11 code (Delco ECM/PCMs) I use..
Disassembly
- m6811dis

Assembly
- as6811
- aslink
- bincvt
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ahh yeah comparing, I tend to use hexcmp2 for that.
hexcmp2.png
hexcmp2.png (34.92 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
And good old vim on linux for hacking away at assembly code.
vim.png
vim.png (29.02 KiB) Viewed 8337 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i use ultraedit a lot plus tunerpro ,kalmaker not so much anymore LOL ose flashtool every car i tune to flash in base tunes :D
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
The1

Post by The1 »

tunerpro, HxD, Flashtool if im doing vx/vy

I use ConTEXT for writing Code logs.

Also dont forget Memcal ID TOol
EagleMark
cars: 1994 Buick RoadMaster LT1
1972 IH 345 16197427 PCM Project
1990 Chevy 1227747 HighWay Lean Cruise

Post by EagleMark »

antus wrote:Yeah thats what ive heard. Issues with crappy power from modified sine wave inverters, usually running off the car.
Also happens with 12 volt cig lighter laptop chargers!!!

antus wrote:Ahh yeah comparing, I tend to use hexcmp2 for that.
Don't forget there is already a compare feature in TunerPro, load a compare bin and can compare each Parameter. Also a difference tool that will show all differences between loaded bin and Compare bin.

Simple tool is Notepad++ for working on DSM/ASM file commenting. There is also a hex editor Plugin for it.