PCM Hacking Tools - Share What You Use

Programs / Tools / Scripts
durahax
cars: 03 GMC Sierra 2500HD - LB7 Duramax Diesel

PCM Hacking Tools - Share What You Use

Post by durahax »

This is a work in progress!

Be sure to post the tools you use in the comments :)

Windows Tools

LS1 Flash Tool - Still in development, but you can tell it has a future here.

TunerPro - Has ability to tune and scan, a must have.

WinOLS - Great program, hex editor, has a 2D and 3D view, and more. Great for locating maps in a binary.

HxD Hex Editor - Hex editor.

wOBD - This is a great tool, sadly last update is from 2006. Still a great app, say you want to poll every pid at $22, $3C? This is it.

IDA - Disassembler and debugger.

DISMOT68 - Two pass Motorola 6833X disassembler. Support definition files and structure.

STNTerm - Terminal for ELM and STN.

OS X Tools

Synalyze It! - It's the best hex editor I've used. You can make configs called grammar, highlight bytes, label them and a ton more. Make sure to try the grammar that is provided with the program, pretty neat stuff. Here's a bin I just started working on...

CoolTerm - Well this one is cross platform but only tried OSX version. It has support for AppleScripts, and works great.

Wine - It lets you run Windows programs on OSX.

Linux Tools
Last edited by durahax on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Good PCM Hacking Tools For OSX

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Looks like some pretty neat stuff nice work, I've tried a few hex editors & best so far I'd seen was a program called hex editor I think (will update when I go to workshop).

So guessing coolterm will be able to listen in on any OBDII protocol reading/writing do you need to tell it protocol being used?

Was told about wines a while ago, but never really used MAC so no real need there, but again nice work!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Its worth keeping an eye on wine and tunerpro, it must be a bit hit n miss as ive used it to review logs in tunerpro on linux, seemed to work well enough. Would have been a very recent version of wine.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Is there any benefit of using MAC/Linux over Windblows?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Not really, most tools are made for windows. I use linux a lot, but generally windows for tuning.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

The synalyze it program looks pretty handy! Nice find :thumbup: Would be nice if it was available on other platforms.
durahax
cars: 03 GMC Sierra 2500HD - LB7 Duramax Diesel

Post by durahax »

I use a laptop 99% of the time. I rarely use Windows, my laptop has triple boot though (Win7, Linux, OSX). Of course I have a few Linux and Windows boxes, I don't discriminate. Antus is right, it's all preference. The latest MacBook Air goes 12 hours+ on a full charge, perfect for on the go. But the lack of tuning tools makes it tough to use it for data logging and tuning. That should change soon ;)

I'll mess with the wine settings, probably fixable. That would make my life easier, it's hard enough finding free time for this.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah they were my thoughts on Mac-Linux Vs Windblows not sure what OSX is!

My previous favorite editor is actually 010 editor by sweetscape, but your 1 does look pretty neat but probably over my head!
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

OSX is apples operating system, eg a mac. "Operating System Version 10 (X in roman numerals)" Under the hood its FreeBSD but with a proprietary user interface on top, so that makes it a form of unix and similar to linux. Thats how wine can be built for both giving you versions for both, and why it works well :D
The1

Post by The1 »

i use vmware fusion with unity mode, can run windows apps native basicly on mac :)