Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development

Programs / Tools / Scripts
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: Software On ELM Street - OBD2 Software Development

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:Theres some info and a fix for wifi lag issues on some adaptors here http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16 . All in all probably not worth the hassle supporting them though. I can imagine how many different ones must be out there. Sounds like a support nightmare.
Unfortunately, until I get my custom boards going, a obdlink mx wifi unit is what I now have and hoping to provide support for :thumbup:
Im not going to provide ELM WIFI support just yet, only support for the oblink until I develop a read/write routine that Im confident will work, and at least error report correctly to a console view.

Theres also a OBDLink MX Bluetooth (which I wish I did get currently), and that would use the standard serial communication. That might be on the next purchase. Until then, its WIFI ahoy!

I did find an interesting quirk though, when connected to my home WIFI, the MX didnt appear in my "available connections", but as soon as I disconnected from the home wifi, it popped up immediately! Very weird!
beerman wrote:My old serial Elmscan 5 and USB adapter wasn’t cutting it so I bought an OBDLink SX interface. Today I finally had a chance to plug it into the GTO and it worked like a charm. The seed/key seemed to work flawlessly. It would be nice to be able to change the gauge style once it has been created, and maybe the ability to resize the gauges. I did notice the active area in which the gauges exist seems a little off, you could hide the gauge behind the menu. All in all it seems really nice great job Tazzi.
Great to heard it worked happily with an OBDLink SX!
Cheers beerman. Yes, the gauges fix is on the "to-do" list. I did put in barriers to prevent the gauges from going out of bounds but I must of messed something up. They are also a little "quirky" with how they get grabbed and moved.

Its my first real attempt in making custom GUI so it will need to be reworked and refined for a easier display. The "resizing" will definitely need a major redoing since that affects how to move the gauges too!
There are some commercial products available for custom GUI including gauges/rev bars ect which would be a much more suitable option. Just a tad on the pricey side!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

Tazzi wrote: I did find an interesting quirk though, when connected to my home WIFI, the MX didnt appear in my "available connections", but as soon as I disconnected from the home wifi, it popped up immediately! Very weird!

not that weird... remember there are 11 channels on the B/G/N wifi band (2400mhz) and more on the A band (5000ish mhz). not all access points and devices are on the same channel. its not a surprise that some wifi controllers may lock the channel while connected, which may prevent you from seeing any access points on different channels while connected.

on a side note. its a good practice to run a wifi scanner around your home to see what channels your neighbours wifi is on, so you can choose a different channel....... this can increase your speed and range if you are channel sharing at the moment...
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Jayme wrote:
Tazzi wrote: I did find an interesting quirk though, when connected to my home WIFI, the MX didnt appear in my "available connections", but as soon as I disconnected from the home wifi, it popped up immediately! Very weird!

not that weird... remember there are 11 channels on the B/G/N wifi band (2400mhz) and more on the A band (5000ish mhz). not all access points and devices are on the same channel. its not a surprise that some wifi controllers may lock the channel while connected, which may prevent you from seeing any access points on different channels while connected.

on a side note. its a good practice to run a wifi scanner around your home to see what channels your neighbours wifi is on, so you can choose a different channel....... this can increase your speed and range if you are channel sharing at the moment...
Honestly didnt know that!

*looks up wifi scanning apps*
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Jayme wrote:

what about devices that can channel shift? I run my wifi link on channel 38 lol
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Norton is back to hating on SOE.
Iv about had it with AV. Useless buggers hate everything.

*Edit
Notrons "Whitelising" takes up to 3weeks... per update :lol: Well.. thats not an option. And thats for Norton only! Geeeezzzz...

I guess everyone just has to put up with that little annoying warning on initial install until I come up with something else!.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Think I made a little mistake in the last version with the baud updating there was a stay clear serial command that was meant to be removed but wasnt. So the baud update sometimes works and sometimes doesnt!

Iv reworked the entire startup process as well to accommodate for wifi support as well :thumbup:

Now to work on the infamous freeze frame..again.. :hmm:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

SOE's running well. Refined a bunch of the routines so it suns faster and smoooother :thumbup:

I bumped the "frame timeout" parameter up a bit to see if that helped out the freeze frame capture.. and I think it did!. I can successfully capture without any trouble on the VZ V6 here. Was a couple times it missed, but I simply skipped it. Or disconnected/reconnected and it would find them. Finally *I think* im making progress on the freeze frame.

No point implementing a proper function to display all freeze frame info if I cant get it in the first place.. but.. I think this might have solved it!
SOE_Smooooth.PNG
SOE_Smooooth.PNG (46.33 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Got a suggestion from someone for the freeze frame data. Its a pretty good idea!

The idea is to try read the freeze data with the default frame timeout parameter, and bump it up on every retry until it receives all the data. Simple, but I havent tried that yet!
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Now that Iv got the MX Wifi under control.. its actually a really good device :thumbup:

Originally the issue was that the socket connection times out after there is no activity with the mx, the host (MX) closes the connection with no activity after 5ish seconds. Soo the device has to be constantly polled, while also negotiating all the other reading/writing routines successfully without causing a giant mess!

Probably a good 15+ hours of programming.. and Iv finally got a routine that works 100% with the MX Wifi! *Woop woop*!

Soooo before its asked (and PM'ed) and emailed to me.. whats the big woop about the MX?
Well it supports VE's GMLAN. Which will allow access to everything else on the VE's, not just the ECU anymore! :D

I will be beginning to reverse engineer the diagnostic information on whatever I get my hands on. It shall be an interesting workout! :thumbup:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

v0.0.1.4 now up :thumbup:
Major changes to multiple parts/sections.

Have also begun a new implementation for all major custom Gauges and controls. Will be using a 3rd party interface as it means I dont have to make my own custom bar/line charts that Im looking to implement!