antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Berry tuning tool

Post by antus »

Do all manufacturers have a way to skew live data via the obd port? O2, rpm, injectors etc all usually connect direct to the pcm.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:Do all manufacturers have a way to skew live data via the obd port? O2, rpm, injectors etc all usually connect direct to the pcm.
Depends on their method. Based on a quick discussion with them, it obtains the factory live data that vehicles output naturally as part of the OBD2 compliance. I think the device may send override commands possibly? So, forces the engine to believe is reading a specific value. (I think).
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Thats the thing. OBD is On Board Diagnostics. Lets wait and see. It probably wont be the last we hear of this device for one reason or another.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:Thats the thing. OBD is On Board Diagnostics. Lets wait and see. It probably wont be the last we hear of this device for one reason or another.
True that, interested to see how it goes.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I have no issues with it being able to do what it says it can do, I'm more interested to see how it goes for meeting emissions .... if its not sold as "for off road use only" then it could be a big can of worms ....

that said its really no different to any other tuning package other than you just plug it in and it does it all for you....
beyerch
cars: all kinds

Post by beyerch »

This is an obvious scam......

There's no way they are 'fudging' live sensor data via diagnostic port for ALL of those different makes/models.

#1 - Sensor input (MAF / O2 / etc.) are pretty much still hardwired to the ECM. Even Drive by Wire TPS couldn't be spoofed like this since there is a hardwire voltage that needs to correlate with the reading from the data line.

#2 - Even if it could be done over diagnostic port, it would vary by company as it would be proprietary PIDs, etc.
jay woo

Post by jay woo »

Clear the fuel trims when the device first connects, this should make the fuel economy slowly improve as the trims are added back in. No idea if this how it works.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Like all black boxes the more you spend the better they work. It's amazing what your mind can do. Think I am skeptical. I am waiting to see the proof in the pudding.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Charlescrown wrote:Like all black boxes the more you spend the better they work. It's amazing what your mind can do. Think I am skeptical. I am waiting to see the proof in the pudding.
Yeah, I can't help thinking the same. Like magnets on your fuel line, only high-tech.

Joe.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

I guess it could do something like ALDL mode 4, which can override most of the PCMs main parameters (eg spark advance, target afr) as well as the sensor values.