PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Programs / Tools / Scripts
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by ironduke »

I may be using it incorrectly.. I have tried using the first and second box to direct to where the dll might be, 2 different folders.. Here's a download link for my entire program files(x86) folder the MDI application..
https://gofile.io/?c=9YEX3u
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

Thanks, ill have a deeper look at the Zip tonight.

You should just choose in the left dropdown box "J2534 PassThru".

If everything works as it should, in the middle should be dispayed something like "GM MDI" and in the right box should be a valid path to a Passthrou DLL im your System. When interpreting the zip Folders from you correct, it should be "BVTX4J32.dll" in GM MDI Software\Products\MDI\Dynamic Link Libraries ?
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Not sure if this will help, but this is the MDI manager install program.. I grabbed it in the temp folder as it was downloaded and grabbed a copy before it was installed.. It gets erased once the install is complete.. Might have more info than just the folder I uploaded for you.. https://gofile.io/?c=LppaBl

Nothing happens when I choose J2534 passthru and click init.. Just that initalizing Tool J2534 Pass Thru.. NOT ok! is displayed..

Oh, I tried using the ELM just to see if it did anything, I get the same error.. I can't select 115,200 in the drop down for speed selection, I had to move the com port to #2, that was the only one left available below 5 that I had.. In any case that failed too, hopefully someone else can give it a try, might be something with my computer.. I can try another one in about 5-6 hours and see what that one does..
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro/so ... -and-mdi-2

You can get the latest gm mdi manager here. It installs some program for device monitoring and makes a log file.
It will be very useful for debugging. Also you got all the dll files needed for the mdi.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

kur4o wrote:https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro/so ... -and-mdi-2

You can get the latest gm mdi manager here. It installs some program for device monitoring and makes a log file.
It will be very useful for debugging. Also you got all the dll files needed for the mdi.
Learn something new every day, lol.. I didn't know bosch had it available..

This might help a little bit too?? I downloaded and installed the drew tech J2534 toolbox program..
I have to click Load DLL and then connect and I am able to use that program to connect to the MDI.. The DLL shown is C:\Program Files (x86)\GM MDI Software\Products\MDI\Dynamic Link Libraries\BVTX4J32.dll
So that is the DLL you mentioned..

OK!!!! I got something to work, still working on things.. but...
I typed in GM MDI in the first box, then I pasted in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\GM MDI Software\Products\MDI\Dynamic Link Libraries\BVTX4J32.dll" into the second box and it connected!!!
the MDI selection box popped up and I picked my MDI and connected!! Awesome!!!!! It's reading the flash at the moment.. I will try to save it then compare it to what it should be..

Man this is awesome!!!!
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

Yep, thats supposed to be the correct path.
You did right, im curious what you got?

And a little satisfied that it worked :D

I found some registry file for the GM MDI.
Turns out that also the Registry entry of the Volvo Dice is non standard :roll:

I fixed that, now it should enter the passthru device and dll path correctly.

See version 0.0.0.4.

I also activated ELM. It was not supposed to do anything before.
But it will mostly crash the prog as it hangs while reading messages.
You have to enter the default baudrate, com port box can also be edited by hand :)
Just if you want to experiment.

Best regards,

Daniel
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

I checked against an old file I have of the same programming, might have been a differerent ECM though? Anyways everything was the exact same from 0xF17A and down, but there were differences before that here and there.. That section isn't calibration or operating system area, eeprom? registers? etc I imagine..

Looks like it worked though!!! Excellent!!!

Tried modding the bin I read, did the CVN, then the SUM and then wrote it just fine.. Read it again and it looks good to go!!! I wonder if I HAVE to change the cvn?? or if I could leave it alone?? lol..

One thing with the ELM327 is that some of them can run at 500,000.. I have 1 that can, and 3 that can't, lol.. mine happens to be a USB ELM device if that matters..
Mine starts at 115,200.. Then you can use the soft baud change command and if you respond quickly enough at the higher baud it sticks until the next power down/reset.. Not sure if your trying that, or if you have an elm that goes that high.. That was the only way I could use the elm to log a programmign event without getting a buffer full all the time..

thanks again SIR, this is awesome!!! no real use for it, other than my own vehicle, but it sure is fun..
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Isnt the CVN the CRC16? Or have I gotten that wrong?

If the CVN is the CRC, then what/where is the SUM?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Tazzi wrote:Isnt the CVN the CRC16? Or have I gotten that wrong?

If the CVN is the CRC, then what/where is the SUM?
ok, I am not the guy to explain this, lol.. someone else might chime in, but I found 2 checks, then I found some more info online, and even a couple programs that made it easier for me as I was trying to figure out how to write crc16 into my own little hacked up c++ program...
Antus posted a program here I found from one of the old posts, that one is my favorite and that is exactly what I was trying to write.. I want it automated, but it's not very hard to hex edit your files yourself..

take the e38 bin you pulled from your bench unit..
Segment 1(OS) is from 0x10000 to 0x1BFFFF
The CRC16 of the entire segment MINUS 0x10000-0x10001(SUM) and 0x1001E-0x1001F is written in the 0x1001E-1001F section.. you go ahead and write this in..

The sum took me awhile to figure out, and that was after reading about it, lol..
You include the entire segment INCLUDING the CVN but you do NOT use the 0x10000-10001 bytes..
I use the hex editor and find the Big endian 16 bit signed values and use the last 2 bytes..
perform NOT operation then add 1.. That's two's compliment, right??
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Thats awesome that it worked! I cant wait to try it!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396