PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Programs / Tools / Scripts
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by ironduke »

antus wrote:Thats awesome that it worked! I cant wait to try it!
I did a little diggin, lol.. Couldn't remember how I found it, but check this out, should answer any questions you have about CVN and sum a LOT better than I can..
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3833&hilit=e38+cvn&start=50
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

ironduke wrote:I checked against an old file I have of the same programming, might have been a differerent ECM though? Anyways everything was the exact same from 0xF17A and down, but there were differences before that here and there.. That section isn't calibration or operating system area, eeprom? registers? etc I imagine..

Looks like it worked though!!! Excellent!!!

Tried modding the bin I read, did the CVN, then the SUM and then wrote it just fine.. Read it again and it looks good to go!!! I wonder if I HAVE to change the cvn?? or if I could leave it alone?? lol..

Wow, fantastic. Didn't expect the GM MDI work right from the spot with my first implementation of passthru 8)
Thanks for your testing. :)

Can you upload your dump here?

Did you need to check the "ignore DLC! = 8" box?

All the register stuff is at 0x2FXXXX and higher. I have to have a look what is there at 0xFxxx.

Files read by other tools seems to blend that out with 0xFF.

Remember that only the calibration area will be flashed, so no risk.

As far as i understand the code, you have to fix the checksum, otherwise the code will not start.
You do not have to recalc the CVN, but you will get an error code (DTC) that it is wrong if you not do so.
Last edited by daniel2345 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

Tazzi wrote:Isnt the CVN the CRC16? Or have I gotten that wrong?

If the CVN is the CRC, then what/where is the SUM?

Absolutely correct. CVN is custom CRC16.
checksum is simple add/sum.
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

ironduke wrote:
One thing with the ELM327 is that some of them can run at 500,000.. I have 1 that can, and 3 that can't, lol.. mine happens to be a USB ELM device if that matters..
Mine starts at 115,200.. Then you can use the soft baud change command and if you respond quickly enough at the higher baud it sticks until the next power down/reset.. Not sure if your trying that, or if you have an elm that goes that high.. That was the only way I could use the elm to log a programmign event without getting a buffer full all the time..

thanks again SIR, this is awesome!!! no real use for it, other than my own vehicle, but it sure is fun..

Yes, mine can run at 500k. The baud change is implemented, it will always try 500k.
If not working, init will fail because it is too slow then.
I might test it with 250k and 115200 and add an option to chose later.

And i will change it to automatic detection of initial baudrate.Mine is configured to have 38400.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

The thought of using an ELM for flashing an E38 is absolutely cringe worthy :lol:

They dont play nicely with sending frames fast, and will randomly decide to stop reading incoming data if too fast.

Glad the J2534 compliance is working though!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

Hehe, i know.

But if only one readout and flash is needed also a slow solution can be a solution :)

And since ecu can not realy be bricked while flashing calibration, ill work on it when time allows...
But it will be a hard time. I constantly got frustrated working with this stupid ic after one or two hours.
Thinking how much better this could work if designers would have done this or that. :comp:
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Here's a read of the flash on my bench ECU.. it's had a hard life, started out as something from a 2008 or 2009, currently has 2013 programming in it, almost sort of bricked it a few times since your not supposed to put newer OS in older ecu's??

Do you think it's possible to write everything and not just the calibration?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Some success here. It can initialise my MDI, and can unlock the PCM. Its failing here though. Im not sure if it could be something different about the revision of my hardware. I need to power cycle the pcm after this to get it responding to any tool again. Its OSID 12628990 at the moment. That seems to be from a 2009 Chevrolet Impala LT 3.5L 6 Cyl
Image2.png
Image2.png (26.62 KiB) Viewed 12956 times
20200227_231911.jpg
20200227_231911.jpg (315.13 KiB) Viewed 12954 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
daniel2345

Post by daniel2345 »

Ok, that's unexpected.

You are already talking with my flashloader as the initial run command received an answer.
Then it's not getting correct answer during file transfer.

Flashloader is still active, because ecu not responding to other tools.
So no Watchdog issue due to other internal hardware.

My first guess is a timing problem...

Ill have a look what could causing this.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Were you trying wireless?? I had a problem when I accidently tried using it wireless, forgot the ELM was plugged in and NOT the MDI, so I selected wireless without even thinking.. Haven't had an a problem since I've been using the MDI wired..