PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Programs / Tools / Scripts
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by ironduke »

Just wanted to give you an update and a possible bug?

I'm not sure sure if I was brave or stupid, lol but I switched over to my summer tires and since they're slightly smaller I have a different calibration for shift points and pulses per mile correction so speedo is dead on accurate...

Anyways I used your PowerPCM version 6 and tried it in vehicle.. It did fail trying to do it wirelessly from the desktop to the MDI(not a real surprise), had to unplug the ecu to unlock it, lol but once I tried it again with my tablet and a wired MDI it worked great, read the flash out of the vehicle and I checked it, then I loaded my summer tire calibration and wrote it to the ecu with no problems.. For checks I read it back and then checked it against the original and it matched perfectly..

I did have to clear the codes in a bunch of other modules for loss of comm with the ECM but I am assuming that was due to me locking it up trying to read it wirelessly.. It did push the kernel ok but failed about quarter thru reading..

Only possible glitch I found is if I unplug or power cycle the MDI while the program thinks its still connected I can't do anything unless I close the program and reopen it.. I can't connect, disconnect, etc.. Might be an easy fix? otherwise it's not a big deal..

Thanks again and can't wait for your next update!! no rush of any kind and if you never get to it, that's ok, lol.. This is just fun for me..
CoryR
cars: Y2 R8 Clubsport L77 T56
VY SS Wagon
01 Hilux 2wd 2.7 single cab daily

Post by CoryR »

Hey guys, so I have one of those cheap toyota mini vci cables, I've managed to get it to come up in the selection box and the .dll location is there, but it doesn't want to connect, comes up with

initialising Tool J2534 PassThru
DENSO CORPORATION - TIS Techstream VIM...
NOT ok: init: 7

Any tips? I'm fairly inexperienced with this stuff, although I have played with some vx/vy v6 ecus and the flash tool so have a little idea.
Would this cable even work? Trying to reprogram an e38 to run an lsx454 standalone atleast to fire it up before heading to the tuner.
Thanks
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

CoryR wrote:Hey guys, so I have one of those cheap toyota mini vci cables, I've managed to get it to come up in the selection box and the .dll location is there, but it doesn't want to connect, comes up with

initialising Tool J2534 PassThru
DENSO CORPORATION - TIS Techstream VIM...
NOT ok: init: 7

Any tips? I'm fairly inexperienced with this stuff, although I have played with some vx/vy v6 ecus and the flash tool so have a little idea.
Would this cable even work? Trying to reprogram an e38 to run an lsx454 standalone atleast to fire it up before heading to the tuner.
Thanks
I had tried with a cheap toyota mini vci cable and I didn't have any luck either.. Couldn't get it to work with gm sps or anything else so I figured the cable was no good..

What else do you have available to use??
CoryR
cars: Y2 R8 Clubsport L77 T56
VY SS Wagon
01 Hilux 2wd 2.7 single cab daily

Post by CoryR »

ironduke wrote:I had tried with a cheap toyota mini vci cable and I didn't have any luck either.. Couldn't get it to work with gm sps or anything else so I figured the cable was no good..

What else do you have available to use??
Damn not what I was hoping to hear lol.
I’ve also got an ELM327 cable and an ALDL cable, I gather the ALDL will be useless for this.
I’ll give the elm a shot later on and see if that connects, but seems like you’ve had to do a bit yourself to get that reading.
Rando
cars: couple old camaros

Post by Rando »

Hi guys, long time lurker, and am starting to gain alot of interest in this side of the PCM. I have a stack of e38's and thought i would give this a shot (admittedly not knowing anything at all lol.)

Is there a difference in how the MDI2 initializes vs the older MDI? i cannot seem to get the MDI2 i have to initialize, and will admit im not sure how to fix it. It does work for the P01 style readers (pcmhammer). However when i click to initialize using this tool, i get a icon that has a red x, and cannot move past that point? Any help for a uneducated noob?

Thanks for putting up with my lack of intelligence. lol
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

So the MDI manager sees the MDI2 ok??

I'll grab the shop MDI2 sometime today and try this program with it, Iv'e always just used one of my MDI's..

first idea is to start the program then select the J2534 device..
Now.. don't click init just yet.. I am assuming this is how you've tried to connect already??
instead click on settings, then passthru, then dll location..

maybe change it from C:\Program Files (x86)\GM MDI Software\Products\MDI\Dynamic Link Libraries\BVTX4J32.dll

to C:\Program Files (x86)\GM MDI Software\Products\MDI 2\Dynamic Link Libraries\BVTX4J32.dll

There is a 1 byte difference in the dll files.. no idea wht it does or why??

Then try init..
Rando

Post by Rando »

ironduke wrote:So the MDI manager sees the MDI2 ok??

I'll grab the shop MDI2 sometime today and try this program with it, Iv'e always just used one of my MDI's..

first idea is to start the program then select the J2534 device..
Now.. don't click init just yet.. I am assuming this is how you've tried to connect already??
instead click on settings, then passthru, then dll location..

maybe change it from C:\Program Files (x86)\GM MDI Software\Products\MDI\Dynamic Link Libraries\BVTX4J32.dll

to C:\Program Files (x86)\GM MDI Software\Products\MDI 2\Dynamic Link Libraries\BVTX4J32.dll

There is a 1 byte difference in the dll files.. no idea wht it does or why??

Then try init..
See, my lack of intelligence already rearing its ugly head. lol. That seems to have done the trick. it has initialized, and now its time to play, or make a bunch of bricks. Lol. I will report back on the progress on my end with a MDI2 shortly. Thank you!
Rando

Post by Rando »

It appears im communicating and completing the read process, Excuse my ignorance, but should it prompt me to save a bin, or does this do it automatically and i need to search my directory for it?
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Rando wrote:It appears im communicating and completing the read process, Excuse my ignorance, but should it prompt me to save a bin, or does this do it automatically and i need to search my directory for it?
it's just in memory, now you click File on the top left and select save file..

for writing you would start the program, click file then load.. that loads the bin into memory.. I would suggest using the check selection after you've loaded the file to see if the checksums and CVN numbers patch as I don't know if it checks before you actually write anything..

It's up to you to modify the bin file.. Most here are using tunerpro with their own homemade xdf files..
Last edited by ironduke on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rando

Post by Rando »

ironduke wrote:
Rando wrote:It appears im communicating and completing the read process, Excuse my ignorance, but should it prompt me to save a bin, or does this do it automatically and i need to search my directory for it?
it's just in memory, now you click File on the top left and select save file..
is it common to not have a file type drag down box to save as? i have no options when the load is complete, i go to save, it will take me to folders, i can name, but no drag down options. Dont ya love helping new people trying to break stuff out? lol :lol: