PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Programs / Tools / Scripts
GSRegal99

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by GSRegal99 »

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the E38/E67 binary tinkering (I've mainly done IMMO cloning in the past) and I thank you Daniel for making this tool! :thumbup: It will be a huge help to me I'm sure!

I am having some slight difficulties and I'm curious if anyone else has tried a VCX Nano as the pass through device? I've tried using the provided VCX Nano dll and also the MDI dll's with different results but no success connecting to the ECU.

Here's what happens with the VCX Nano dll (VCXPT32.dll)

Code: Select all

initialising Tool J2534 PassThru
Bosch - MDI...
ok.
connecting...
start periodic CAN NOT ok: 12
The MDI dll's do seem go further: (MDI and MDI2 do the same thing)

Bosch - MDI...
ok.
connecting...
start diagnostic session (0x10 0x03)...no reply first frame, Read_FF.
no reply.

Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Sean
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

You are trying to use mdi dll with vxnano? Not a good idea.

The program should see your device in the dropdown menu. Try change the dll location to the vx nano one in settings.

It could be some registry settings too. Earlier in the threas there was some more info on selecting dll.
GSRegal99

Post by GSRegal99 »

kur4o wrote:You are trying to use mdi dll with vxnano? Not a good idea.

The program should see your device in the dropdown menu. Try change the dll location to the vx nano one in settings.

It could be some registry settings too. Earlier in the threas there was some more info on selecting dll.
I figured I try the MDI dll because the VCX is almost a clone device. It was worth a shot..

The only device in the drop down after selecting the J2534 is the Bosch MDI. The VCX nano dll is the default when I start this program. I've tried searching the VCX file folders for alternative dll's, so far no success.

I'll search around in the registry and see what I find also.

Thanks for your help!
-Sean
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I would venture to guess the VCX Nano dll is not being properly installed, therefore it's not in the Windows registry for the program to find.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yeah, the vcx nano is also not a clone of the mdi hardware at all. it is completely different hardware. A lot of them are clones of the vcx nano, and the older ones have cracked and buggy drivers and are not updateable. my first attempt to buy an mdi turned out to be vcx nano clone hardware in an mdi box with cracked drivers. it did not work at all and it was not updateable. i returned it for a refund. if you are saying its the almost the same hardware because have one of these, get your money back and throw it in the bin. Its not good for any serious uses. The real MDI hardware PCB is full of components and shares nothing with the vcx-nano design.
Attachments
vcx nano label.jpg
07-mdi clone guts - inner s.jpg
07-mdi clone guts - inner s.jpg (252.52 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
GSRegal99

Post by GSRegal99 »

I finally got a chance to mess around with the VX Nano again today and unfortunately I haven't had any better success.. I even found a virtual machine setup from them to make sure I wasn't something I did. Still didn't work! Haha! Oh well, that would have been too easy..
antus wrote:yeah, the vcx nano is also not a clone of the mdi hardware at all. it is completely different hardware. A lot of them are clones of the vcx nano, and the older ones have cracked and buggy drivers and are not updateable. my first attempt to buy an mdi turned out to be vcx nano clone hardware in an mdi box with cracked drivers. it did not work at all and it was not updateable. i returned it for a refund. if you are saying its the almost the same hardware because have one of these, get your money back and throw it in the bin. Its not good for any serious uses. The real MDI hardware PCB is full of components and shares nothing with the vcx-nano design.
Wow! That's crazy some MDI clones are clones of the Nano! If I end up getting one, I'll be sure to crack it open right away and check. I do apologize, clone was the wrong word in my previous post.
-Sean
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

How does one know if the software found the correct dll?

I do not have a VCX Nano nor have I checked out the software so I'm shooting in the dark a bit here ...

I do not know if it's generic wording or is what's extracted from the dll, however the Bosch - MDI line seems a bit odd for a VCX Nano.
GSRegal99 wrote: Here's what happens with the VCX Nano dll (VCXPT32.dll)

Bosch - MDI...
ok.
connecting...
start periodic CAN NOT ok: 12
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
GSRegal99

Post by GSRegal99 »

Gampy wrote:How does one know if the software found the correct dll?

I do not have a VCX Nano nor have I checked out the software so I'm shooting in the dark a bit here ...

I do not know if it's generic wording or is what's extracted from the dll, however the Bosch - MDI line seems a bit odd for a VCX Nano.
The program did find the VCXPT32 dll file on it's own (It's the same dll used by the VCX software). I was the one (incorrectly) pasting the MDI/MDI2 dll path into the pass though dll box.

I'm not sure as well why the MDI is the only choice in the drop down box. I do not think I have another J2534 cable. I will check...

I also did download the PCM Hammer program and dug out a P59 I had laying around. The VCX Nano did work with the program just fine. Although, it does have a choice for the VXDiag (along with MDI and MDI 2) in the drop down menu. Not sure if it's that way for you guys as well..

I'll keep researching. If I find anything or make progress I'll let you guys know!

Thanks
-Sean
Gatecrasher

Post by Gatecrasher »

Thank you to Daniel for the great tool. I wanted to share my experience using it to download from two different E67 ECMs. Some of this may sound like complaining, but I promise it is not. I used a genuine GM MDI. I tried both of these in their respective vehicles because I don't have an E67 bench harness built yet. I knew there were risks before I attempted this, and I would never have blamed Daniel if something went wrong. I honestly laughed about it once it was all over.

The first one was a 2008, service number 12607096. The download was mostly corrupt. Only some blocks read out correctly. It also left the truck in a very weird state. ECM was unresponsive, and it set pretty much every U-code in the book. The check engine light even stayed on after the ignition was off and the door was shut. Fortunately everything went back to normal after I pulled the battery cable for a minute or so. The engine started up just fine and I was able to clear all the codes. So, no harm done.

The second one was a 2009, service number 12625453. This one seemed to go almost perfectly. The download looks good, although I don't have a known-good read from this ECM to compare against. Everything appears to be in the right place though. There were a few U-code glitches, but nothing like the 2008. I didn't need to pull the battery cable.

I'm guessing there was an internal hardware change to the ECM between 08 and 09. This is probably also why you can't swap operating systems between some years.

Again, please don't take this as negative. I'm grateful that Daniel provided this tool at all. I only want to help make it better if there's any way I can do so.
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

Can you post the bins. I think it is an in car issue than a software issue. Noisy modules flooding the bus.

On bench it reads fine without a hiccup.