Tunerpro checksum plugins for GM PCM files

Programs / Tools / Scripts
joukoy
cars: Pontiac Firebird 1978

Tunerpro checksum plugins for GM PCM files

Post by joukoy »

Created two plugins, more coming later (I hope)
https://github.com/joukoy/gm-checksum-plugins

GM-P01-P59-checksum-plugin.dll
For 512kB P01 and 1MB P59 PCM bin-files

GM-e38-e67-checksum-plugin.dll
For 2MB e38 and e67 PCM bin-files

Requires/accepts only start address (0) and end address (bin size), all segment addresses etc are hard coded or read from bin.

Tested shortly, all feedback & improvement ideas are welcome
kur4o

Re: Tunerpro checksum plugins for GM PCM files

Post by kur4o »

Awesome work I tested both with some random files and the checksums are done automatically on all segments without an issue.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

This is cool. What is the idea of this one? Is the idea that you dont use TP native functionality for the calibration segments separately, you instead install this and the XDF lists only one checksum and it covers the whole file, and this plugiin takes the start and end addresses and updates all plugins?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Someone else might be able to chime in here with a better and more thorough explanation, but..

tunerpro doesn't to CRC calculations.. for me that was what prompted the idea of a plugin for it.. I had been working on setting up an XDF for my OS from an E38 ecu and I had unable to get tunerpro to do the CRC's so I had been using Joukov's universalpatcher program after I used tuner pro to get all my checksums and CRC's corrected..

Joukov has gone above and beyond a crc plugin and created a plugin that does both the SUM and the crc calculations for each and every segment..
You don't need to specify the segment size or length or anything, I can only assume he's getting it from the OS segment right in the beginning that has all that info..
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I was referring mainly to the P01 and P59 plugins. Now that we have my original P01 OS segment sum calculator, an updated version with P01 and P59 which uses the same internal guid as the first, plus two stolen patched binary versions with different GUIDs and this one there is 5 different variations in the wild.

Im thinking about how users know which plugins they need to install when they have a locked XDF and cant see what its set up for. Pete S was saying he has been getting reports of people recoverably bricking PCMs and it seems they dont have the right plugin installed so TP just doesnt update the checksum and they dont know and flash it in.

Im wondering about how we package up these plugins so people know if there is a problem or not. PCM Hammer (and most tools?) verify the checksums at flash time, but its still something to think about. Maybe we need to talk to Mark from tunerpro about moving some of this logic in to TP. Or making the plugin name and GUID appear on the about->plugins page. The problem with checksum plugins is that they do not appear on the plugins list, so the only way you can see if they have installed correctly is to look at the checksum tab in the edit xdf header page. But, on a locked XDF you cant get to that page. I guess the other half of the problem is locked XDFs. Maybe... if tunerpro cant be made to do the sums natively, it should at least pop up a dialog about not being able to load the plugin when you load the XDF, or when try and save the bin. But then even if Mark did implement something like that, a lot of people would continue to run older versions and still have problems until they update.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
joukoy

Post by joukoy »

Updated plugings, added error handling.
But it looks like only last checksum calculation fires error in Tunerpro.
So, if checksum1 in e38/e67 have problems, checksum2 is ok, file will be saved without fixing (all) checksums.
Maybe I combine them to one?

If plugin (.dll) is removed, Tunerpro show error when saving.

Maybe this is the problem with previous p01/p59 checksum plugins? At leats one xdf what I have, uses builtin checksum calculation for other checksums, only OS should be calculated with missing plugin. => No errors.
Other xdf files are password protected, I can't check what checksum calc they use.

I sent email to Mark about this.

Edit:
Combined e38/e67 checksums to one call.
Need update to xdf, too
Last edited by joukoy on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Cool, thanks for looking at that. Hopefully Mark can improve the native handling in TP. I think checksums are better handled one by one so that they all need to be defined in the XDF. This is good for learners to see what is going on, even though it means setting up a little more in the XDF. The LRT XDFs use the hacked plugins. I want to work with him to swap over to legit plugins, whether thats yours or mine. He was not aware the plugins he used originally were hacked, so it was an honest mistake, and he did a great job with the XDFs. I have tried again to contact him this week to clean things up, just before I saw you release your plugin, but I still havnt gotten a response on gearhead.
joukoy

Post by joukoy »

antus wrote:Cool, thanks for looking at that. Hopefully Mark can improve the native handling in TP. I think checksums are better handled one by one so that they all need to be defined in the XDF. This is good for learners to see what is going on, even though it means setting up a little more in the XDF. The LRT XDFs use the hacked plugins. I want to work with him to swap over to legit plugins, whether thats yours or mine. He was not aware the plugins he used originally were hacked, so it was an honest mistake, and he did a great job with the XDFs. I have tried again to contact him this week to clean things up, just before I saw you release your plugin, but I still havnt gotten a response on gearhead.
If Tunerpro get fixed, it may be better to handle checksums segment by segment.
But at this moment I recommend combined handling: you get error if something is wrong (dll missing for example)

Another option: put plugin-based checksum last, then you get error if dll is missing. Still no error if other checksums fail.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah the early checksums are easier. an XDF only needs a plugin if it has a code patch. If all goes well, there will be more of them over time, but at the moment there are very few. If it doesnt have a code patch TP can calculate the sums out of the box. The E38 stuff is bit different. Let us know what Mark comes back with.
joukoy

Post by joukoy »

antus wrote:Let us know what Mark comes back with.
https://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm
"Fixed issue where, when calculating multiple bin checksums, if one checksum calculation failed but the next succeeded, TunerPro did not report the failed checksum."
:thumbup: