J2534 tool ? Nano ? MDI2 ?

Programs / Tools / Scripts
gjestico
cars: Various LS swap junk

J2534 tool ? Nano ? MDI2 ?

Post by gjestico »

I need to flash a manual trans OS into an E38 ecu for a swap. I have watched tons of vids on how the SPS system works and figure I can try it.
I got ahold of a VCX Nano, went thru the painful software install experience, and it failed to be recognized by the GM SPS system, E4403 error results. Basically NO tech support from Viaxdiag on it.

So, then I got an MDI2 clone which comes with a hardrive with pre-installed software. Got that running and same deal, It fails at same point, wont show the tool in the menu option. Same error. Some tech support was available but they were not able to resolve it.

I have a suspicion its got something to do with the J2534 "wrapper". I wonder if GM killed the clones by changing something on the wrapper. I probably am wrong on that tho.

Im considering spending the $800 for a real MDI2 , But I would never get that money back. Is there some cheaper option out there for a one time(ish) use ?
Thanks for any help.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: J2534 tool ? Nano ? MDI2 ?

Post by ironduke »

Have you installed the mdi manager yet? Was that included in the software? If so can you see the mdi2 with the mdi manager? You cannot be connected to the mdi manager and use sps at the same time, just asking about mdi manager as a test.
gjestico

Post by gjestico »

Thanks for reply. Yes the mdi manager is in place and can connect the MDI2 tool and read its firmware version etc. Yes I made sure the manager was disconnected while attempting SPS.
The package also came with tech2win, Which works, Can see the ECU and its error codes.
In the menu on the SPS screen, "select diagnostic tool and programming process", There never appears "GM MDI". Just "J2534 tool" among the options . I have seen versions (videos) of it where the tool is in the list by name. Others where it in not.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Are you trying to use sps online within tis2web? or an older standalone version?

If your using web based, does it try to install the wrapper and fail? if so try running the web browser as adminstrator, this is something new as they try to get ready for techline connect..
gjestico

Post by gjestico »

Yep online with acdelcotds.com and I paid for a vin subscription. Running internet explorer as admin. It does download the wrapper, Java, and gets the check windows to allow that to run.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Trying it at home now and I have 3 choices when you open sps up.. I also just logged into work and I have the same 3 choices. I think they got rid of the gm mdi dialog a while ago.. So far it sounds normal..
J2534 device
Tech2 Legacy pass thru
Tech2remote

So you select reprogram or replace and program and click next. Wait, before you do that there is a reset J2534 box on the left, keep that in mind.. It's supposed to keep your mdi and mid2 selections remembered I guess but I just got my genuine MDI2 a couple weeks ago, still learning that..

Anyways, you click thru all that and a device explorer box opens up.. Do you see anything there?? Should see MDI and MDI2 in a list. if not maybe go back and reset J2534 device..

You would select MDI I beleive because the MDI2's are just MDI 1 clones in the mdi 2 case.. If your selecting MDI 2 then you may not see your device.. Try resetting J2534 device or selecting choose another device and then try MDI and NOT MDi 2..
gjestico

Post by gjestico »

Thats where mine fails. I have tried the 'reset' box but no avail. I never see that device explorer popup (which looks alot like the MDI manager interface in videos)

So I tried an install on a completley different computer. Downloaded bosch/gm mdi manager from original website. Same result. If anyone can fix this for me theres $$ in it. PM me
kostia111

Post by kostia111 »

device version and manager version match each other
after downloading you have updated the device through the manager

show the screen from the messenger
Attachments
mdi.JPG
mdi.JPG (67.91 KiB) Viewed 4792 times
gjestico

Post by gjestico »

Yes in the MDI manager the software macthes says "Devices are compatible" in blue there or something to that effect. Ive tried everything and watched every vid I can find.
ironduke

Post by ironduke »

Are you trying this wireless or USB? or with an ethernet cable? If you haven't tried yet turn off your firewall and then see if it shows up..

Also some antivirus can screw this up.. What are you running for that? Works ok with built in windows security but all bets are off if your running something else..

Windows 10? 64 or 32 bit??