NVS Easy Flash - Development Thread

Programs / Tools / Scripts
In-Tech

Re: NVS Easy Flash - Development Thread

Post by In-Tech »

Thanks for the reply Tazzi,
I have purchased from many many "chip" supply places, many not even on the internet. If there is a particular part number you want in qty's of 1000, pm me or post here and I will do some diligence :)
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I would try keep the ftdi they just plain work. So many others just cause dramas plug a prolific and others into an msd programmable ignition box your engine stalls many ecu connection problems are sorted just by using an ftdi USB to serial cable in place of other inferior ones. Obviously the pandemic is bad in China and its effecting production of thousands of items
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote:Thanks for the reply Tazzi,
I have purchased from many many "chip" supply places, many not even on the internet. If there is a particular part number you want in qty's of 1000, pm me or post here and I will do some diligence :)
Thankyou, I may need to talk about a few :thumbup:
delcowizzid wrote:I would try keep the ftdi they just plain work. So many others just cause dramas plug a prolific and others into an msd programmable ignition box your engine stalls many ecu connection problems are sorted just by using an ftdi USB to serial cable in place of other inferior ones. Obviously the pandemic is bad in China and its effecting production of thousands of items
Exactly my fear, I know they work, and work damn well. So I don't want to change them but starting to feel I don't have much of a choice if I want to produce something in this life time. :wtf:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

So.. I can get FTDIs in stock, but at a minimum order of 2500pcs, and at their current price, thats well over 10k in just FTDIs!!!
I have a small run of boards using the CP2102N silicon labs serial to usb's on the new prototype, fingers crossed they are all good.

Worst case scenario is I have two different drivers that need to be installed, which is not the end of the world I guess/

As for progress, we are onto server based programming.
Since the programming is quite complex, I have gone to using a windows server so I can write in C# instead of PHP (honestly, hate PHP..).
I have dealt with using Windows Azure systems previously which is nice and easy to get setup and running, but i have gone for setting up windows 2019 on a VPS as I require quite a bit of physicals space and databases which Azure charges for.
Windows server is a completely new thing to tinker with for me, made a simple hello world asp.net application which runs fine on my computer, but doesnt want to execute on the windows server one.

I believe I can actually install visual studio on the server along with teamviewer and bring up an actual screen/gui to develop with, so I will be looking into that for debugging.

Coding in C# makes it a lot easier for (almost) full copy/pasting classes and structures from the app into the server side, thus this does significantly simplify programming needed there. From my previous experiences, linux with php has been absolutely dreadful for classes, structures and error catching/handling so this will make for a huge upgrade to deal with unexpected responses from the people who like to poke and prod the server (You know who you are.. I see you :lol:).
So even though its not working nicely right now, In the long run I think this is the best move.

Since making this post, I have had a surprising amount of questions, most commonly "is it locked to the smartphone?". Simple answer is no.
I am integrating the websites accounts to the app, so you login to the app using an envyouscustoms account. Once logged in, your account and tool are used for the apps licensing, this means you can migrate to any phone as many times as wanted.
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Awesome stuff, mate. I was going to ask how the purchasing/downloads etc work, but didn’t want to ask that stuff so early on in the development. As mentioned before I have a car if you need any testing done, probably not much help but the offer is there, cheers.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Tazzi wrote:So.. I can get FTDIs in stock, but at a minimum order of 2500pcs, and at their current price, thats well over 10k in just FTDIs!!!
I have a small run of boards using the CP2102N silicon labs serial to usb's on the new prototype, fingers crossed they are all good.

Worst case scenario is I have two different drivers that need to be installed, which is not the end of the world I guess/
I doubt you will have any problems with the silicon labs stuff, we just get used to what we know and stick by it. Is there a particular package ftdi that you would like or is it just a "price is king" stuff and make the board accordingly? I've gotta get a few hundred coming for a project pretty soon. My little group does quite a bit of military stuff at times and therefore we get prioritized when purchasing is why I thought I might be able to help, also with pricing.

I'm not sure exactly what your new stuff will do but I am definitely wanting to move into dash and bcm stuff :) No matter what, whatever I can do to help ya :)
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Im A bit late to this thread, but can probably also help with FTDI. Ive got some ECM NVRAMs and ALDLs being put together now, and my supplier has proven to have delivered 100% genuine hardware from the beginning. They also get better prices than online stores. They could source and add to the same upcoming order.

As for si-labs. Yes they are good, but some models need drivers and some dont. If your going that way you want a model that just works on win 10 and again you need genuine, like anything.

As for PHP, Im just gonna leave this here (truth is though, I think its a mature language these days.. but its had a rough history)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

just throwing this out there as an idea.

Flashing in tunes. With E38 etc gm stuff, it would be good to be able to flash in different saved calibrations via your phone. Not do a full flash, just the calibration portion.

Tuner would need to use tuning software to set the main tune files, just read them out & save each 1.

Then ya could have a normal petrol tune file, speed/rpm limited tune, ethanol tune.

That would work well for some of my friends, since they wouldnt need to buy a tuning cable just to flash different calibrations.

Ultimate idea for transmission stuff would be to edit shift speed tables, especially if you could log via your phone things like rpm, gear, speed. That would be handy for guys to fine tune shift points when drag racing. Downside to that is you would need to be able to edit the files & thus need calibration definitions.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote: I doubt you will have any problems with the silicon labs stuff, we just get used to what we know and stick by it. Is there a particular package ftdi that you would like or is it just a "price is king" stuff and make the board accordingly? I've gotta get a few hundred coming for a project pretty soon. My little group does quite a bit of military stuff at times and therefore we get prioritized when purchasing is why I thought I might be able to help, also with pricing.

I'm not sure exactly what your new stuff will do but I am definitely wanting to move into dash and bcm stuff :) No matter what, whatever I can do to help ya :)
Interesting! I am looking at a couple different manufactures to see if they can source parts, since the couple Iv gone with say they have nothing at this time! I will check in if they are happy for stock to be shipped to them.

Basically it will allow security linking any GM part to a car, along with enable/disable custom options in things such as the dash, radio, BCM ect. BCM stuff is alot of fun but time consuming to find such as increasing remote start timer and retry count, enabling various external/internal lamps ect.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:Im A bit late to this thread, but can probably also help with FTDI. Ive got some ECM NVRAMs and ALDLs being put together now, and my supplier has proven to have delivered 100% genuine hardware from the beginning. They also get better prices than online stores. They could source and add to the same upcoming order.

As for si-labs. Yes they are good, but some models need drivers and some dont. If your going that way you want a model that just works on win 10 and again you need genuine, like anything.

As for PHP, Im just gonna leave this here (truth is though, I think its a mature language these days.. but its had a rough history)
I had an instance not too long ago, where PHP kept treating the value 1 as a string instead of an integer. So as soon as I would do "myvariable + 1", it quick literally crashed the php script. :roll:
I had to explicitly state intval(myvar)+1 on only that specific variable to make it work, yet in other parts of the code it would automatically identify it as a integer and allow it to run correctly.

Its basically the inability to declare variable types which drives me made. But, I would be relatively 'new' to it all in retrospect and am no where near an expert with php.