NVS Easy Flash - Development Thread

Programs / Tools / Scripts
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: NVS Easy Flash - Development Thread

Post by Tazzi »

jxx wrote:Interesting, this also opens up buying a cheap android TV box for essentially a small portable pc.
And the higher end android based scantools in some workshops.
People from LSDroid have used $40 kindles. Whats funny is some have been faster then the latest flag ship phones for processing data. I believe it came down to the kindles have absolutely nothing else running on them whereas other phones have quite alot going on in the background.

I am going to be interested to see how it all goes on other phones, since Im using the iphone 12 pro and Huawei Android phone.

Technically there is no 'heavy' processing required. Its just passing data to and from the scantool so I do not foresee any issues unless theres going to be bluetooth gremlins, since just like windows, some things just want a bit of a reboot before working.

I have managed to find a common bluetooth bug already though, basically if you try connect to a device which does not exist, android can sometimes get in a bit of an infinite loop and never connect even when its available if plugging it in. Only way to fix is exiting out the application and reopening (Which is a bit of a pain!). APpears to be a background task for the Android bluetooth system which does not exit out of the search loop... I should probably see if I leave it for longer if it will auto timeout.

Voltage monitor is implemented, its accurate to about 0.1volts which I am happy with, works between 2v through to 20v for monitoring. Voltage is checked before every single programming action to ensure its in the green before proceeding.

Also a system log has been added. Basically using as a system debug log to show what events have been clicked and used to debug any weird responses or actions.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Its funny I have had multiple calls from this week asking if I am still in business. Simple because 90% of products I use to provide are now set to out of stock, effectively down to software and cables.
Its nice finally having free time again without staying up until 3am to get things completed. Iv completed more programming in the past month then I think I have in the last 4years!

I did have one hiccup occur today, went to get the next round of tools assembled and found out the USB/Serial IC is out of stock (FTDI), considering there was 10's of thousands of them available and now its out of stock.. this really does highlight how fucked the processor shortage is. I will be migrating to silicon (CP2102) which should be a drop in replacement almost other then requiring a different driver. The USB connection really is not needed at this time until windows software is provided with it but there will be some that prefer using a laptop such as workshops or tuners.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Yep, I'm a laptop guy :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Lappy all the way in more than 1 way…haha
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Gareth wrote:Yep, I'm a laptop guy :thumbup:
Easy. The new microsoft release provides full support for windows so I can develop for all platforms in one. Only thing I have to do is make a new driver class for USB serial which is all of about 100lines of code, and a quick edit for the layout to display a bit nicer on windows :thumbup:

Current supported functions I have added:
VE Radio S1
- Security Linking for Radio box
- Security Link Fascia
- Logo Changes (Colour screen units)
- Audio Configuration

VE Radio S2
- Security Linking
- Factory Camera
- Factory RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment)
- Parking Sensors
- HSV EDI Option (HSV EDI required)
- Navigation Enable (Nav Board required)
- Audio Configuration
- Body Type
- Logo changes
- Tuner Radio
- Driver Position (RHD/LHD)
- VIM Unlock

VE Cluster
- Security Linking
- Body Type
- Suspension
- ABS Type
- Transmission
- Country
- Nav
- MRC
- TPMS
- AFM, Hot oil, AHL ect,

VF Mylink Radio
- Security Linking
- Custom Flash Aux Enable
- Custom Flash Logo/colour changes
- Custom Flash Enable/Disable Pictures, Pandora, Stitcher ect
- Custom Flash Driver Alerts (Speed camera POI ect)

VF Cluster
- Security Linking
- Transmission Type
- Performance Menu
- HSV MRC Enable/Disable
- Units selection (MPH/KPH)
- Oil life remaining, timer, compass, trip B, navigation enable
- Side alert, Front camera ect Warnings
- TPMS
- Custom Flashing to enable/disable various options
- Custom Logo programming (takes 45+min to complete - yet to enable in public release).

Still plenty more to go!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Tazzi wrote: I did have one hiccup occur today, went to get the next round of tools assembled and found out the USB/Serial IC is out of stock (FTDI), considering there was 10's of thousands of them available and now its out of stock.. this really does highlight how fucked the processor shortage is. I will be migrating to silicon (CP2102) which should be a drop in replacement almost other then requiring a different driver. The USB connection really is not needed at this time until windows software is provided with it but there will be some that prefer using a laptop such as workshops or tuners.
Hi Tazzi,
What part number FTDI were you using? I hate to sidetrack your thread, just curious. I've always been a fan of FTDI so I'm curious of the pros/cons of the CP2102 vs FTDI stuff.
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

Is the custom logo programming something that's done through matrix type setup that would require a separate UI?
gmtech825

Post by gmtech825 »

I have an Android device, and bench e78,e38,e41,e92,t43, t87a, and access to others. Let me know if I can help
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote: Hi Tazzi,
What part number FTDI were you using? I hate to sidetrack your thread, just curious. I've always been a fan of FTDI so I'm curious of the pros/cons of the CP2102 vs FTDI stuff.
To be honest, any FTDI chipset available. Almost every single dev board/breakout board I have ever bought has used one for communication to a PC.
So naturally because its caused no problems, I have always just stuck to them even if they were more expensive.

Likely due to the processor shortage, I have started seeing the CP210X series popping up on alot of dev boards, so it could be only a matter of time before they start running out too :shock:
Gonna try order a few pieces locally to ensure it rigs up happily, then like grab 1000+ of them. They use to be only 50c-80c each, but appears they have jumped up to around $3 now.. will likely triple or more in the coming months.

In terms of differences, as far as I can tell, silicon is the next best 'branded' name for USB Serial ICs, all the same options for driver setup and configurations and even the chip designs and requirements are very similar.
hsv08 wrote:Is the custom logo programming something that's done through matrix type setup that would require a separate UI?
The VF cluster boot animations are technically 14images that display 1 after the other. So replacing them with another set of images changes the boot logo.
gmtech825 wrote:I have an Android device, and bench e78,e38,e41,e92,t43, t87a, and access to others. Let me know if I can help
Thanks! This tool will be more focused towards the body modules (Cluster, BCM, ect) to reconfigure those :D
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Something I am very much looking forward to is custom flashing on the VF BCMs (Global A) since theres a TONNE of things that can be modified.
This includes windows up/down from key fob, TPMS, puddle lamps, heated/cooling seats, paddle shift, remote start ect.
Honestly is a HUGE amount of options in the newer style BCMs, GM had all these options precoded in the BCM since back in 2013, since vehicles such as the Opel Astras had auto highbeam, rain detection, windows up/down from fob. These are all items that can be enabled in other vehicles too :thumbup:
Another example is the modern Colorados will leave a crack in the window when unlocking to allow 'venting' when it is hot.

Just like ECM/TCM's though, calibrations shift depending on operating system which is what makes it a bit more tough to define. I believe the VF's have been lucky enough to almost all run the same operating system, but not so lucky for other GM manufactures.

One really good thing is calibration flashing on global A BCMs is extremely quick, roughly 10-15seconds, plus its extremely easy to recover in the event of connection loss.
The 2018+ vehicles did start getting the 5byte seed/key's in the BCM and other modules, but we are good to go with those in the future also.