cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

What cables are being used in 2021?

Post by Cincinnatus »

Just wanted to start a thread to find out what USB (or Bluetooth) cables in 2021 are being used. All mine are usb. I have a gm nano that works perfectly with PCM hammer and gm sps(as well as tech2win and gds2), and an elm 327 from eBay that works with forscan (the nano works with forscan but only if it is canbus) and a red devil river aldl I use for 94-95 gm lt1 pcms. I want to read newer e40 and e38 ecms, and was wondering if anyone is using something other than MDI clone to do it? Also want to read p04 pcms and haven't gotten a obdlink lx or mx yet for lsdroid as it looks like they are still working out the bugs in it. Thanks, Cincinnatus
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Re: What cables are being used in 2021?

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

I have an OBDXPro VT that I bought earlier this year.

Mike
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Hey MudDuck514, what software are you using with that cable?
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

At the moment, I have not actually used the device for its intended purpose i.e. reading and/or writing a PCM.
What I HAVE used it for is running Torque Pro on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It works much faster than the BAFX ELM 327 device I also have.
I have D/L'd both PCM Hammer and LSDroid (both Android and Windows versions) but none of them work on the ONE vehicle that I have running at present because it has a 4-cylider motor that isn't supported (yet?)
Hoping to get my mini van fixed soon so I can try reading IT'S PCM (3400 V6)

Mike
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Anybody tried one of these?
Screenshot_20210911-042610.png
Screenshot_20210911-042628.png
I'm curious about it (but always skeptical)
BillNobody
cars: 2001 Camaro 3.8L 1990 Chevy 1500 5.7L

Post by BillNobody »

Cincinnatus,

Take the following with a grain of salt.

I went on a quest earlier this year to find the most versatile and affordable J2534 device that worked across the largest number of OEMs. The following is my opinion based on my experiences over the past 8 months.

I have used several different J2534 devices from several manufacturers. Choosing the right one for you, is going to be based on your needs. Do you only plan to flash GM stuff? If so, the VCX Nano is the cheapest route. If not, there are other options. Read on...

If considering using the VCX Nano GM, I would research it's use with Techline Connect before purchase, as it(TC) is still experiencing growing pains while it is rolled out across the US.

If you are planning on multi-vehicle use, the VCX Nano is not a good choice as they are single OEM use only. I use both a real Drew Tech Mongoose Pro GM II along with a DG Technologies d-briDGe Pro at work. The Mongoose is the most trouble free device for most systems I see, except for Fords. The Mongoose GM does not work with pre-2008 Fords needing J1850PWM on pins 2, 10 at the DLC. The Mongoose GM also does NOT provide the FEPS voltage to pin 13 needed when Programming some Ford Models. The Mongoose Pro GM II has been used by me with Nissan NERS, GM SPS/SPS2 and Tech2Win, Toyota Techstream, Ford FJDS(on 2008+) without issue. The Mongoose is the best bang for the buck in my opinion, provided you don't need to program pre-2008 Fords or Chrysler/Dodge.

Personally, and professionally, I cannot afford to trust the work I do to questionable equipment which is why I have the Mongoose Pro and the d-briDGe Pro. Both quality units at an affordable price. With at said, I do have a VCX Nano GM as well as a Nano Toyota. Both devices worked as advertised, but are otherwise a PITA to use IMO. A lot of bloatware and other nefarious/questionable bytes added during software installation. Do some reading, and buy directly from VCX if you do buy one as there are clones of the Nano that are garbage.

Now, if money is no object, the Bosch VCI is the most versatile unit across the board next to the Drew Tech Cardaq Plus 3. Both of these guys are pricey though and exceed $1000 USD by a large margin.

I have no experience using the clone GM MDI/MDI 2 or Ford VCM 2 so I cannot comment on their performance, but after asking the vendors a few key questions, I went ahead and spent a few more bucks for some name brand tools because I like that warm fuzzy feeling. Granted I use and write all sorts of flash and diagnostic software so I am not afraid of testing, I just don't like "iffy" hardware on top of potentially buggy software.

Just FYI, I have no affiliation with any of the companies named herein whatsoever, the text above is only my opinion and experience, digest at your own risk.

Bill
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I'll add watch out for Tactrix. They claim they support VPW/PWM and the interface reports that it does, but in reality they do not. Good for subarus etc but not GM. I believe most clone MDIs work well on all protocols, but being clones there is a risk.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Personally I use:
-MDI
-VX Nano
-OBDX

The nano is just so cheap, that even if I run it over, drop it in water, or lose it... its no biggy. I have 6 backups of them for exactly this reason since its my go to disposable J2534 tool.
In saying that, their new licensing app is quite irritating, it does work but if you do not renew the license, it just stops working without warnings, so I setup a calendar warning to notify me every 60days. You also need to ensure you only install the J2534 passthrough for the nano, and none of the other crap which seems to cause problems.

The MDI is my old faithful, it works almost identical to the J2534 standard, apart from its ALDL implementation and not supporting the unique serial request for tool ID. Its one downfall is the USBs on them are complete shit, and will eventually snap off.

Finally, the OBDX tools I use for alot of my custom work, but not yet for J2534 since I have not completed that implementation. Primarily I use a new prototype since it supports canbus which is majority of all my work.

In terms of actually supporting 2021 vehicles, this is best looked at per manufacture perspective. Each manufacture deals with diagnostics differently, and some use different pins on the diagnostic connector. For example, GM vehicles using E99 support CAN-FD which is brand new protocol, and 99.9% of scantools do not support. Only GM's specific MDI2 and drewtechs high end tools currently have support.

In comparison, Ford using different pins, protocol speeds and even has a FEPs pin required for programming (12+v on pin 13). Chrysler/jeep ect have a completely different story, requiring the ability to change pins to communicate to different modules on different busses... its quite incredible.

Its not ideal, but manufacture specific tools are generally the recommend method. The only company that tends to be ahead of the curve is Drewtech, as they have begun making tools which accept addons, which allow future compatibility with new vehicles which is extremely smart.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
MudDuck514
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Tazzi wrote:Personally I use:
-MDI
-VX Nano
-OBDX

The nano is just so cheap, that even if I run it over, drop it in water, or lose it... its no biggy. I have 6 backups of them for exactly this reason since its my go to disposable J2534 tool.
In saying that, their new licensing app is quite irritating, it does work but if you do not renew the license, it just stops working without warnings, so I setup a calendar warning to notify me every 60days. You also need to ensure you only install the J2534 passthrough for the nano, and none of the other crap which seems to cause problems.

The MDI is my old faithful, it works almost identical to the J2534 standard, apart from its ALDL implementation and not supporting the unique serial request for tool ID. Its one downfall is the USBs on them are complete shit, and will eventually snap off.

Finally, the OBDX tools I use for alot of my custom work, but not yet for J2534 since I have not completed that implementation. Primarily I use a new prototype since it supports canbus which is majority of all my work.

In terms of actually supporting 2021 vehicles, this is best looked at per manufacture perspective. Each manufacture deals with diagnostics differently, and some use different pins on the diagnostic connector. For example, GM vehicles using E99 support CAN-FD which is brand new protocol, and 99.9% of scantools do not support. Only GM's specific MDI2 and drewtechs high end tools currently have support.

In comparison, Ford using different pins, protocol speeds and even has a FEPs pin required for programming (12+v on pin 13). Chrysler/jeep ect have a completely different story, requiring the ability to change pins to communicate to different modules on different busses... its quite incredible.

Its not ideal, but manufacture specific tools are generally the recommend method. The only company that tends to be ahead of the curve is Drewtech, as they have begun making tools which accept addons, which allow future compatibility with new vehicles which is extremely smart.
Hi all;

Tazzi are there any plans for working on J2534 support in the near future? What about the d-pdu support for the Tech2Win app?

Patiently waiting... but thought this as good a time as any to ask!

Mike
Cincinnatus
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Post by Cincinnatus »

Thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I wanted was some actual use knowledge. I own gm, but repair for others, and just wondered if anyone has found a versatile interface that is capable of doing programming and diagnostics for multiple manufacturers. Also want to be able to use software being developed here. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!