OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions

Programs / Tools / Scripts
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions

Post by Tazzi »

Popping this here for just future reference (And google indexing).

If having issues install the OBDX J2534 drivers on a windows 7 machine (most likely a virtual machine), you need to have the Microsoft 4.6.1 .net framework installed: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/downloa ... x?id=49981

To install this framework on windows 7, you must have at least the windows 7 service pack 1 installed, this can be downloaded from: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... q=KB976932

Failing to do the above will result in an error "OBDX Pro J2534 API CMD has stopped working". And the command prompt will have an error indicating "System.MissingMethodException: Method not found".

I did intentionally chose 4.6.1 for the framework since I knew it worked in windows 7 in their latest service packs, I didnt expect to get so many people using absolutely fresh installs of win7 without a single update done :lol:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yeah 7 is really showing its age now. I built one the other week and was suprised to find I had to install a hotfix to allow more advanced hashing for parts of the update system to start working. I guess the sp1 update installs that. its was for .net too....
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

I use an app called WSUSOffline Update to download and install all of the current updates to all versions of windows since XP. (XP, 7, 8, 10)
That way I DO NOT have to continually re-download 30GB or so worth of them EVERYTIME I install windows on a machine.
It's a hell of a lot faster this way, too!

Mike
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

I figure that trying to support from win7 to newest covers basically everything. It also then allows having feedback on some of the older programs like tis2000 which seems to be the biggest reason people are using win7.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Another update live for the OBDX Pro FT J2534 API.

The API now supports enabling debug logging to help track down any issues that may occur when using specific software.

To enable the logging, simple navigate to "C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Roaming\OBDX Pro\J2534\Settings\OBDXFT_Config.cfg" and change the LoggingEnabled to 1.
This file is generated automatically after the first use of the J2534 FT API.

The logging is using a background thread to process new log information thus it does not have "as much" impact on speed, but it will still cause some slow down as the master thread stull must generate the information to pass to the background thread to write to log.

I will be updating the OBDX Pro GT with the same logging ability shortly.

One thing I did not get onto doing was ensuring the PassThruWrite function is locked at only processing 1 message at a time, but this will be in the next update coming (You know who you are :thumbup: )
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

Hi Tazzi,

I got some question that is related to driver being used for t2win discovery. It uses some form of active advertising of the tool, so it can be selected by t2win dialog. I think you already dialed it in the driver.

Can you share some more info what processing is involved for that active advertising. I am trying to make a simulator that will work with some ford programs, but they need active advertised tools to be selected, no passive dlls works.
lsxautumn
cars: 02 sierra 2500HD LQ4 4L80E
AKA a void that eats all my money

Post by lsxautumn »

I been trying to get tis2000 to work with my obdxpro GT and it gets all the way to the programming screen then just stays at 0% for awhile then fails then retires and still doesn't move. I am using windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and I fully updated it including optional updates. Had no issues installing obdxpro drivers, changed the bit rate in device manager because it was set to the lowest which wasn't right. I made a profile in IO management. Anyone been successful with this set up? I'm thinking it can work because it lets me get further than my nano ever would, and it does read the vin off the pcm it's just not writing.

Off topic but, this tool is a beast for ipchammer too. I learned how to change the text on instrument clusters using it with a hex editor and it's been so much fun. Thank you for the time put into developing this
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

lsxautumn wrote:I been trying to get tis2000 to work with my obdxpro GT and it gets all the way to the programming screen then just stays at 0% for awhile then fails then retires and still doesn't move. I am using windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and I fully updated it including optional updates. Had no issues installing obdxpro drivers, changed the bit rate in device manager because it was set to the lowest which wasn't right. I made a profile in IO management. Anyone been successful with this set up? I'm thinking it can work because it lets me get further than my nano ever would, and it does read the vin off the pcm it's just not writing.

Off topic but, this tool is a beast for ipchammer too. I learned how to change the text on instrument clusters using it with a hex editor and it's been so much fun. Thank you for the time put into developing this

I noticed a bug in tis2000 with device selection, First it uses selected device, but than it defaults to j2534 device, You need to open j2534 device and reconfigure it to obdx tool. Hope that helps.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

kur4o wrote:Hi Tazzi,

I got some question that is related to driver being used for t2win discovery. It uses some form of active advertising of the tool, so it can be selected by t2win dialog. I think you already dialed it in the driver.

Can you share some more info what processing is involved for that active advertising. I am trying to make a simulator that will work with some ford programs, but they need active advertised tools to be selected, no passive dlls works.
I can send through examples of what I am doing tomorrow to get you on your way.

The hardest apart honestly was getting tech2win to see the tool. Got to make sure all the objects/structures you are using have all the correct sizes and pointing to correct locations otherwise it wont see the device.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

lsxautumn wrote:I been trying to get tis2000 to work with my obdxpro GT and it gets all the way to the programming screen then just stays at 0% for awhile then fails then retires and still doesn't move. I am using windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and I fully updated it including optional updates. Had no issues installing obdxpro drivers, changed the bit rate in device manager because it was set to the lowest which wasn't right. I made a profile in IO management. Anyone been successful with this set up? I'm thinking it can work because it lets me get further than my nano ever would, and it does read the vin off the pcm it's just not writing.

I will have an update roll out tomorrow for the OBDX Pro GT which will allow you to turn on J2534 debug logging. This will allow me to see exactly what tis2000 is requesting and we can see why its failing. :thumbup:

I will put a post here when the new OBDX GT driver is released.