OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions

Programs / Tools / Scripts
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions

Post by Tazzi »

kur4o wrote:If you found a way for the flash routines to live longer on pcm ram and use the iso15765 protocol with big buffer, I think lag won`t be an issue, Only downfall will be complete interruption of internet for longer period of time.
Yes, this would be a problem. If an internet connection completely dropped out, then this would cause major issues. I would hope people would only be trying to do this on a good WIFI connection.

I could also add some smarts into the client side which could could be enabled optionally to automatically setup a tester present message once a connection to the host programmer is made.. that way the client side would never have to worry about a internet dropout since the OBDX tool would still be sending the tester present regardless.

Lots of possibilities here!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
lsxautumn
cars: 02 sierra 2500HD LQ4 4L80E
AKA a void that eats all my money

Post by lsxautumn »

Sorry for the delay, been busy with work. Here's some logs of me attempting to use my obdxpro GT on tis2000. Sorry in advanced if this is purely a software user error because I might not be setting it up right.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

lsxautumn wrote:Sorry for the delay, been busy with work. Here's some logs of me attempting to use my obdxpro GT on tis2000. Sorry in advanced if this is purely a software user error because I might not be setting it up right.
Not a problem.

This is all thats showing in the logs:
15:04:51:936 : Logging Thread Initiated
15:04:51:951 : PassThruOpen Called
15:04:54:089 : OBDX Tool count: 1
When looking through the code, the very next thing is it connecting to the actual tool comport.
If there was an unhandled exception, then we would have seen an error message written, or if it failed to return, we would have also seen an error.

Every single point in that PassThruOpen function has an error message that will log so it cannot exit without an error being displayed. The fact its stopped tells me either windows has locked up, or its still busy processing.

With that said, looking at the time lapse here: It took longer then a couple of seconds for it to just get the reported OBDX comports. This would indicate a massive lag happening in your tis2000 virtual machine just to lookup comports which should be extremely fast?

In device manager, does it show the OBDX Pro Serial comport? Are there lots of others there too?
lsxautumn

Post by lsxautumn »

Tazzi wrote:When looking through the code, the very next thing is it connecting to the actual tool comport.
If there was an unhandled exception, then we would have seen an error message written, or if it failed to return, we would have also seen an error.

Every single point in that PassThruOpen function has an error message that will log so it cannot exit without an error being displayed. The fact its stopped tells me either windows has locked up, or its still busy processing.

With that said, looking at the time lapse here: It took longer then a couple of seconds for it to just get the reported OBDX comports. This would indicate a massive lag happening in your tis2000 virtual machine just to lookup comports which should be extremely fast?

In device manager, does it show the OBDX Pro Serial comport? Are there lots of others there too?
In Device manager it shows up as comm port 3. It has a comm 1 and 2 that seem to be nothing and a virtual LPT port for the dongle crack. Another thing in device manager was the bits per second on the win 7 vm sets it at 9600 bits per second by default, which I changed to 115200 to match what it does in my native windows 11 where i use it heavily for IPC hammer and it works like a charm there. I allocated 8 GB Ram of the VM along with 6 cpu cores( host has 24gb ram and 6 core 12thread cpu) which I assumed would of been overkill if anything
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

lsxautumn wrote: In Device manager it shows up as comm port 3. It has a comm 1 and 2 that seem to be nothing and a virtual LPT port for the dongle crack. Another thing in device manager was the bits per second on the win 7 vm sets it at 9600 bits per second by default, which I changed to 115200 to match what it does in my native windows 11 where i use it heavily for IPC hammer and it works like a charm there. I allocated 8 GB Ram of the VM along with 6 cpu cores( host has 24gb ram and 6 core 12thread cpu) which I assumed would of been overkill if anything
I might need to try run that VM here for trouble shooting to see whats going on.

The comport should say "OBDX Pro Serial". It could be that the native windows driver is not happy possible. But I would be setting everything back to the defaults, changing anything like bits per second or any other data may actually be causing the problems too.
lsxautumn

Post by lsxautumn »

Tazzi wrote:I might need to try run that VM here for trouble shooting to see whats going on.

The comport should say "OBDX Pro Serial". It could be that the native windows driver is not happy possible. But I would be setting everything back to the defaults, changing anything like bits per second or any other data may actually be causing the problems too.
it does come up as OBDX Pro Serial on the VM in the device manager, I'll try setting the bit rate back to 9600 and see if that makes any difference
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

lsxautumn wrote:it does come up as OBDX Pro Serial on the VM in the device manager, I'll try setting the bit rate back to 9600 and see if that makes any difference
Well that is good its showing OBDX Pro Serial in device manager, thats indicating it has the driver installed.
Maybe try installing the latest version of OBDXplorer? See if that is able to connect? If so, thats a good sign.

The multiple seconds delay for it to bring up the port is the weird part. I can add more debugging messages into the J2534 to see exactly where its getting stuck to narrow it down further. Let me know how OBDXplorer goes first to help narrow down the issue being a driver/port issue.
lsxautumn

Post by lsxautumn »

Tazzi wrote:Well that is good its showing OBDX Pro Serial in device manager, thats indicating it has the driver installed.
Maybe try installing the latest version of OBDXplorer? See if that is able to connect? If so, thats a good sign.

The multiple seconds delay for it to bring up the port is the weird part. I can add more debugging messages into the J2534 to see exactly where its getting stuck to narrow it down further. Let me know how OBDXplorer goes first to help narrow down the issue being a driver/port issue.

It worked perfectly with OBDXplorer and I even used pcm hammer on the vm, and it both read and wrote the p59 I have on my bench with no issues
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

lsxautumn wrote: It worked perfectly with OBDXplorer and I even used pcm hammer on the vm, and it both read and wrote the p59 I have on my bench with no issues
Ok, thats a good thing.
Right, so there is something else going on in the open function that we need to log and capture. I will do an update for us to capture some more information in the log.
lsxautumn

Post by lsxautumn »

Tazzi wrote:Ok, thats a good thing.
Right, so there is something else going on in the open function that we need to log and capture. I will do an update for us to capture some more information in the log.
Thank you for taking the time to help me with this and being patient with me

IF anyone has any tips for the software on the VM side of setting up tis2000 I'm all ears. I'm trying to avoid user errors on my end so I can give the best information to the developer. I wouldn't consider myself a novice with software but I'm also no programmer either. I have gone through multiple vms and trying to configure them differently to see if that cracks the code but no luck. I get tis2000 to install, update, and go into the programming dialogue, but it never lets me get all the way. The dongle crack also doesn't seem to be an issue but after it fails it then locks me out and I have to restart the vm to let me back in.