OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions

Programs / Tools / Scripts
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: OBDX Development - Developer Tools and Suggestions

Post by Tazzi »

Most common modules to fail in cars tend to be the older ones. So being able to support dealership software to allow reprogramming/replacing using hardware which is a fraction of the cost of classic j2534 tools is a big step to helping out the average Joe.

I already have canbus implemented and working for the GT. Have not yet tested doing a flash update with SPS though on a E38.

I went through the D-PDU protocol this afternoon, its like a very overcomplicated j2534 protocol. So easy enough to implement... But there's around 29 commands instead of the 10ish in j2534.

The only program I know that uses dpdu is tech2 win, I have yet to see any other GM applications.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

I found recently that tech2win can`t work with passive j dlls found on registry. Some form of active advertising of the j-device will be needed.

VAG oem tools also use d-pdu protocol with their ODIS program. I can send you some links if you want to test it.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

TLC and sps2 really really sucks and they don't give 2 shits about it.. Below is what I found works when I need to program something older with vpw pin 2 communication... It works, well it worked last week.. As far as I can tell everyone on the gm forum that needs to program something vpw has been calling into techline and been given temp access to sps because they haven't been able to figure it out.. lmao..

Start TLC

Close out the connect box

click on sps2

close out select vehicle box

NOW click connect vehicle at the top of tlc.. It should connect to the MDI, MDI2, whatever..

Now at the sps2 screen select year,make, and model..

It goes back to dashboard... Click sps2 to go back..

Enter RO number and away you go.. That pesky crash doesn't happen..
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

kur4o wrote:I found recently that tech2win can`t work with passive j dlls found on registry. Some form of active advertising of the j-device will be needed.

VAG oem tools also use d-pdu protocol with their ODIS program. I can send you some links if you want to test it.
That’s correct. Because D-PDU is it’s own protocol, which saves itself into a different registry directory and also in “Program Files” folder.
Tech2win then scans each of the supported devices, requests them to return any connected/supported tools which tech2win then shows in its pop of device selection.

Oh ok! Might have to look at their Odis program some time for testing dpdu once it’s working for tech2win
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

ironduke wrote: Enter RO number and away you go.. That pesky crash doesn't happen..
It now makes total sense why it’s crashing. Basically the filters they set are resulting in other modules broadcast data being received which techline is not expecting and ends up crashing. It’s usually on the start where it’s requesting the VIN, if it receives any other data, it will lockup and die.

I have actually jerry rigged this by forcing the DLL to change its filters specific to the ECU when it gets that crappy filter request, it hasn’t crashed since.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

Tazzi wrote:
ironduke wrote: Enter RO number and away you go.. That pesky crash doesn't happen..
It now makes total sense why it’s crashing. Basically the filters they set are resulting in other modules broadcast data being received which techline is not expecting and ends up crashing. It’s usually on the start where it’s requesting the VIN, if it receives any other data, it will lockup and die.

I have actually jerry rigged this by forcing the DLL to change its filters specific to the ECU when it gets that crappy filter request, it hasn’t crashed since.
I find it totally hilarious that you took 5 minutes (or less) to see why the hell it's crashing and everyone has been unable to program a module on an older vehicle since sps2 came out..

I figured out it can be done but only thru trial and error and because I remembered I did it once before so i kinda knew there was some kind of idiotic special stepped procedure to doing it.. Call into techline and they remote into your computer, check out your specs to give them an excuse to refuse to help you and then try it themselves and watch it fail and then finally log into globalconnect with their username/password and load up tis2web and sps and finally program it successfully first try with sps..
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

That is beyond painful to hear.
I tend to rather use my own software when programming anything, just simply because I know it works and wont just randomly crash on me. Techline is a perfect example of this, as its their engineers failure t comply to the proper standards. There would be probably 2 lines of code they would need to fix the filtering, which will fix techline from crashing!

Welll.. 5mins... plus 36hours of J2534 coding over 2 days :lol:
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

so when do we buy the new cables? probably wont have much need for it, but i'll buy 1 to support the development side of things.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Tre-Cool wrote:so when do we buy the new cables? probably wont have much need for it, but i'll buy 1 to support the development side of things.
I pretty much did that exact thing when I bought my V2 tool as I can't use it on anything I own yet!

Mike
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

Stumbled upon some big library of iso documents. Hope it helps someone.

link attached
Attachments
link.txt
(291 Bytes) Downloaded 154 times