95 sb holden barina ecu - suitable donor?

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
d1010223
cars: HQ

95 sb holden barina ecu - suitable donor?

Post by d1010223 »

Hi can any one tell me if this unit would be a suitable donor to build an ignition controller to replace the HEI distributor on my old HQ holden?

Its a holden sb barina (c14nz) 1995 model 1.4l 4cyl delco ecu . I have a picture of the delco ecu with the numbers but are unsure how to upload it.

Intent is to learn how to replace the ignition then one day do progress to do away with the carbies and go EFI with the blower.

Getting tired of recurving and Bosch hei parts are now getting harder to find not to mention costly.

Thanks
Holden202T

Re: 95 sb holden barina ecu - suitable donor?

Post by Holden202T »

unfortunately i can't help with the barina info but i suggest you have a look at this thread, might give you a starting point for the efi on the 202.

Delcoing a 202 thread
d1010223

Post by d1010223 »

Cheers but more interested in finding out if the ecu from the barina cn be used as a starting point rather then buying more hardware. Think I have managed to attach the pic of the ecu with its part number etc
barina ecu
barina ecu
1995%20holden%20sb%20barins%20multec%20s%20single%20point%20efi.JPG (176.94 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
Holden202 edit: i have shrunk your pic to make it fit better and re-attached!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i think the biggest issue you are going to have, even if the computer is usable, no one has developed the code for it like has been done with vn/vp units. So even if it works your likely going to have more of a mission working out how to edit the code to tune it than you would if you got a vn/vp computer and went that way.

i would also think that if anything the computer is possibly too new.

hopefully someone that knows more about this model might be able to help you with an answer.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Does the barina have a distribtuor? If so can you post up a pic of the ignition module? If it looks like the 8pin module at the top of the page here (bottom left one of the ignition module pics) and is probably mounted in the bottom of the distributor then....

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm

you will be able to use it with no computer, and it should be able to read the engine position from the reluctor allready in your distibutor. The weights in the distributor would provide the timing. See Holden202s thread to get a visual idea about the distributor. You would not lock the weights with no ecu, though. Then if you do decide you want to go efi and chuck on a blower, then you will be able to add a modified vn/vp '808 ecu with our code, lock the advance in the distributor and take it to the next level.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
d1010223

Post by d1010223 »

Antus does that mean that the BArina ecu although a delco is not compatible i.e can not be reprogramed with modified code from the vn/vp units ?

I guess what I wanted top knwo was do I just banish the car to the wreckers or can its ecu be kept to save me money trying to buy a commodore ecu (wreckers in WA are dear as poison, one wanted 250 bucks last w/e for a unknown condition bosch hei dizzy!)
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah the barina one is the wrong model. You need the '808 which is service number 1227808. The barina one is one that we havnt really explored. Some of the sensors may or may not be compatible, but its probably not worth the risk going down an unknown road.

Try

Pick A Part Dismantlers
15 Cooper Ave
Kenwick, WA 6107

ph (08) 9493 4800

As far as I know its a take your tools, remove it from the car yourself type of place, but I cant find a web site or pricing for them. Maybe give them a call and ask what a VN commodore computer would be. If you find one which has already had the memcal ripped out of it then you should be able to get it for less again, and that'll be fine for VL400s realtime conversion anyway.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
d1010223

Post by d1010223 »

Thanks Antus / 202

one last question, with certain senssors (temp, knock/accelerometer etc) I am guessing they run calibrated sesor wire in the loom, does this mean that you rely need to butch a loom from a vn/vp so that your sensor output is correct?

Also, aside from the loom and the ecu under the kickpanel what else would you be pulling from the vehicle? I'm guessing coil pack, crank pick up, MAF/MAP etc?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

actually, there is no calibrated anything in the loom... so some of the sensors in the barina may be useful to you as they are all farily generic...
as long as you route the wires corectly you could make your own loom ! (which I have done on my motorbike hehe)

to make things easiest tho, from a VN/VP you would grab ECU, Loom, the whole throttle body (that way you get the IAC and TPS properly mounted), the MAT sensor (in one of the inlet runners) , the Coolant temp sensor, the MAP sensor (tho that barina might have a map sensor you can use, they are all the same)
forget about the DFI unit and crank pickup, its useless to you. you need to go find a camira ign module, as that is compatible with your 202 dizzy, the wire that into the loom where the DFI got taken off.
d1010223

Post by d1010223 »

Excuse the ignorance - DFI?

Can I convert the vk dizzy to be a simple crank angle pick up and use the vn coil packs etc for the ignition? IS the control for the VN coils inside the ECU unit or is it a secondary box under the kick panel or in the engine bay.

LAstly, hape raped all the bits off the barina now to findd the commodore donor - do I have to be fussy? VN auto ok? VP/VR or later acceptable? Is there some sinifigant makings on the ECU i need to confirm prior to buying them?