antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

low impedance injectors and resistor packs

Post by antus »

Well, as part of the 240z conversion, the biggest stumbing block so far has been the low impedance injectors. They are a rare shape, and so far after hours of searching the only option i have come up with is RB20 injectors. Since the ebay seller is taking forever to post them and not replying to emails, I think im out of luck there.

As part of my research I have found on many nissan forums people saying that low impedance injectors can be run with a high impedance ecu with a 'resistor pack from pretty much any v6'. Ive not heard this before, and im fairly sure that it isnt as simple as that (I mean, if the ecu cant supply enough current quickly enough, then it cant supply enough current quickly enough, and a resistor is not going to change that).

So whats the down side of doing it this way? Does the resistor drop the voltage and current as a trade off against the opening time? Does it work in general? Would it work in a delco?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: low impedance injectors and resistor packs

Post by yoda69 »

Remeber this?
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=245
Might be worth a shot.

yoda69
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah i wouldnt run the external resistor pack slows response times of the injectors
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I figured there would be a negative side effect. I dont want to mod the ecu as I want to be able to use a common off the shelf 808 in a disaster situation, but after much searching I think weve found a suitable replacement now.

Bosch 0280 150 788 211cc@3bar 14.5 ohms.

They seem to be on many common boring cars at the wreckers, and look to have a long enough shaft to get through the ports on the L20 manifold. WIll pick some up this weekend. Not the biggest injectors but a starting point none the less.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

are they side feed injectors or top feed hose barb ones 211cc is small as good for bugger all boost if any really
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

Why dont you make or buy a high current inj driver ?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Yeah they are top feed. RB20 ones look like they'd suit, but from looking around the net I think there may be different types on different RB20s. Plus, Im having trouble finding any. CA18 ones would also suit, but are also not that common. Ive got an old kalmaker low impedance driver, but im worried about extra lag or inaccuracys from external circuity. The engine is small, its only a 2L 6 Cyl, so doesnt need so much per cylinder and its only running stock boost (at this stage), which I think is about 8psi. We wont have head room, but if we can get these ones cheap and easy this weekend then we can spend more time getting real RB20 ones. Ive found the right ones in NZ... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 629077.htm
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

If it were me id use the inj in it just to get it going with the kal inj driver, and then put rb20 ones in when you get them.
I dont think youd get much lag or inaccuraccy as most transistors switch in microseconds .
ToyHicko
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car

Post by ToyHicko »

The RB20 injectors look simular to the 240SX injector I plan to use in the Celica. Might be another souce for you try but 4 cyclinder only problem
TTVN
cars: TT 355 VN, Rearmount turbo 355 vp, cammed 355 hj60 landcruiser, vx clubby n efilive VZ ls1 wagon

Post by TTVN »

i used a kalmaker big squirt driver with the holley projection setup on the delco and its fine

i set it up on amates car years ago and bought it off him since he is going carb on his old hq