Electronics Australia DELCO articles

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
GONZO

Re: Electronics Australia DELCO articles

Post by GONZO »

Hope this isnt getting too far off topic, I have seen a few of the v8 modules that have gone. The main transistor in the middle was the problem. It is a proprietry bosch transistor which cant be replaced with an off the shelf alternative (Or at least nothing we tried! :rant: ). We did end up with smoke though :roll:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

mmm smoke never good :D was there any numbers on there trans at all would be good to find a replacement for it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yep, thats the one i have seen fail too - and is pretty much all that goes wrong. A circuit diagram would hopefully show what is required as a replacement :thumbup:
XR Pilot
cars: Nissan Skyline wagon, ST162 Celica + MR2 turbo engine (project)

Post by XR Pilot »

I wonder if it is a special transitor designed to be used as an ignitor. They are designed for the high-voltage flyback from a coil and can handle switching big amps.

I'm guessing something like the Bosch BIP373 might be able to be used as a replacement for the V8 transistor. They don't have a public datasheet avaliable, but you never know what you might find...

They are avaliable for $6.50USD ea from Diyautotune. From my experience, I've never seen an ignitor have anything else except a 5v trigger pin, an earth pin, and a coil negative pin. So that would be a start, find those pins on the V8 transistor, hook up a BIP373 and see what happens :D
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Yep thats what i've heard/seen as well with the centre transisitor.
I can't remember who was doing change over units here in melbourne...petroject?? injectronics???

We have a Bosch calibrator that comes in most days and i'll sus him out for info or if he can let us know what is used.
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Update....asked the Bosch man today (who happened to be an auto elec in his old days) they were common issues with the modules.Bosch brought in those modules as units only,no spares,but people in the know were seeking parts through "radio parts" and matching the specs with other transistors.
The most common fault was "dry solder joints"
Injectronics do the change over units.
UCMatt
cars: VE Sportwagon
VYExec
VN V8 UC Torana Hatch

Post by UCMatt »

I have repaired a couple over the years. Most common problem is dry joints causing intermitent operation.
If you are desperate, the transistor of a VK EST module (also made by Bosch) works fine, and is not worth much on Ebay etc.
Another source for the transistors are the Bosch modules that look like the VN module without the distributor connector. These modules were sold as an aftermarket kit for a long time, and were also fitted as standard to a lot of mid 80's Sigmas.
It would be really nice to find a 'new' substitute for it though.