vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by vlad01 »

hello I am new to this forum but have lurked a few time as there is lot of good info here.

I have recently bought a low mileage VY ecotec for my VP project car, I have a few 808 ecus and I also have a police? issued VS manual PCM.Yes i know, police one is regular type with different numbers on it.

I haven't got any wiring looms yet so I am wondering what my options are? btw I have a T5 on hand for this conversion currently in my daily driver VP.

here are the criteria I would like to meet.

.Obviously the ability to work with hall effect VSS for the T5
.Retain the EV6 injectors (readily available new, faster response, higher working pressure etc...)
.Retain working existing VP air con ( noticed the VY compressor doesn't fit the engine bay)
.Lean cruise
.Do away with the EGR (as it was blocked with carbon and made a mess in the intake manifold, simplifies the exhaust)

Few other things I noticed that could complicate things if I were to use VT onwards PCM is how would the air con even work using the older air con system?
VS dual speed fan? what controls the slow speed? looks more complicated from VT onwards with the fan side of things.

I think my ideal scenario would be to use the VS manual PCM and have it recalibrate for the EV6 injector parameters, VATS disables, fit VS dual speed fan and call it done?

I would love to here the opinions from you guys.

thanks in advance,
Vlad.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by Holden202T »

you could look at running it on a 808 ecu, there is a tune in the $12P area for ecotec on a 808, should meet all the other criteria.
The1

Post by The1 »

if you run VT to fix fan issue, just disable the low speed fan, set cutin temp to max and just use high speed fan.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The1 wrote:if you run VT to fix fan issue, just disable the low speed fan, set cutin temp to max and just use high speed fan.
sounds good, what about the air con? I see the 808 and the VT use a completely different method of control, some refrigerant pressure sensor on the VT onwards verse a simple on/off pressure switch from VN-VS and even used the same compressor so the gas pressure will be the same.

what about running the VS ecu? should fix the air con problem as its direct plug and play for the air con side of things.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202 wrote:you could look at running it on a 808 ecu, there is a tune in the $12P area for ecotec on a 808, should meet all the other criteria.
not really looking at removing my manifold at this stage. But I love the simplicity of the VN/VP management.

I thought lean cruise wasn't possible on the 808?
The1

Post by The1 »

yeh or do that, could do the same fan trick or fit the dual speed fan. The VT pcm uses BCM for PCM A/C enable and pressure transducer so yeh bit of a pain.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

just looked through the VS diagrams again, looks like the low speed is only controlled by the BCM.... So?

whats the BCM got to do with the fan? I see all the AC control and input on the VS ECU is exactly as VN-VP and only runs to the ECU.

Or is there link from ECU to BCM were the AC is controlled over that link?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

aldl data line is where the link is.

808 will do lean cruise if you use $12P code :)
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202 wrote:aldl data line is where the link is.

808 will do lean cruise if you use $12P code :)

well maybe I will do this then :) could be a good excuse to open up the manifold and give it a good clean.

Actually what do I do in case of the canister purge? VS onward have solenoid operated purge and VR down have vac operated purge via a carefully placed port in the TB. I have already looked at mounting the pre ecotec TB but seems the location and hose sizes are cumbersome if I go this path, are the VN TBs any more suitable?

guess I could always modify the ecotec TB and place a tiny port at the right location for the purge? lot of mucking around though. Did it successfully on my VP TB when I machined it bigger so I have experience in this.

Is it correct it will need a larger EPROM?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well for my ecotec into torana i did the vs can purge and used a felxible lookup table in the $12P tune to open and close the VS purge solenoid ..... i don't know that i'd say it worked like factory but it seemed to work well enough.

it will need a larger eeprom if your using a standard vn/vp memcal, vr manual or vr auto memcals will be usable.