VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
Holden202T

Re: VY ecotec in VP. Options?

Post by Holden202T »

i don't think there was much changes from vt onwards, it was the first 152kw motor which i believe was the same output for vx and vy the vs was 147kw ... anyways
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

VT was also 147kw, but thats just tune related, same as the VS. the block is exactly the same, heads also through out ecotec range

The main changes were the manifolds used EGR and the gaskets on the manifolds changed 3 times from VS to VY, mine has the last change which is the same as VX-VY.

The sump and pickup was changed from VS to VT and I think the dip stick on the VY had different marking to add even more oil.

VS 4.3L? oil
VT-VX 4.7L oil
VY 5.3L oil

This is pretty much the reason VS engine throw rods more than any ecotec. Smaller oil pickup apparently and less oil capacity. May be other reasons too since they were the first revision engine.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

The increase in capacity at VY was to allow for 15,000km service intervals. If you compare dipsticks I think you'll find that the add mark is the same on both, it is the full mark that is different.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yep, that sounds right, 15k intervals? they must be crazy. The additives in the oil be long dead before getting to 15k.

5k is a must, 7k tops.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Fleet operators loved the longer intervals and Holden was willing to warranty them
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

its not so bad for continuously running engines as the temps are consistent for long periods, less thermal cycles.

but for average daily driven car that long interval quickly starts to sludge up and the acid content of the oil is pretty high by that stage.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i wasn't keen at all on the 15k intervals on the alloytec, i change it every 10k ... i'm interested to see over time, i've heard of my mates workshop doing 3 or 4 alloytec timing chains already in about 12 months, all of them had alot less kms on them than mine, and all were grotty inside, but don't know if these were 15k services or no service at all!!
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Yeah 15,000 km was to please the fleet family....wayyyy too long for the alloytech
Never had problems with testing at work apart from 3 or 4 timing chain /sprocket revisions for noise. (chain and teeth pattern changed)
Now oil consumption is showing up in the real world.
These/and other makes of engines are running a fine line to meet emissions and using thin piston rings for less friction (economy)
Alot of people are pussy footing the cars around doing their shopping and milk runs and not loading the engine up,rings arent doing their job
Answer is regular oil changes and a bit of lead footing :driving:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

my VP engine has 200k on it now and its spotless and runs very well for something thats thrashed every day and does 650-1000ks a week for 2 years straight so far.

I did the correct thing when I picked this engine up, filled it with break in oil of the same brand I intended to use (penrite break in oil) and after 200-300km drained it and filled it with penrite HPR 10 winter and use HPR 15 in summer and used only that since I got it, still factory silvery metal under the rocker covers, not even stained yellow. I do a change every 5k if i can

break in oil is important for the first use of any engine bought 2nd hand as it doesn't contain the usual additives and that allows you to flush most traces of old oil which most likely with have incomparable chemistry to the oil you plan using which often causes chemical reaction and claggs the oil or does other weird and wonderful corrosive stuff, killing the bearing white metals.

This is what most certainly killed my last engine, well not killed but severely wore it out in less than 20,000km. I recon I changed the oil brand few times not knowing any better and every oil change the engine got worse and more rattly and underpowered.

I have seen some documentation from the best vw/Porsche air cooled engine developer in the states on oil chemistry clashes, not pretty.

Joe Gibs oil also states this and how to avoid it.

oil, its important :thumbup:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

monaro308 wrote:Yeah 15,000 km was to please the fleet family....wayyyy too long for the alloytech
Never had problems with testing at work apart from 3 or 4 timing chain /sprocket revisions for noise. (chain and teeth pattern changed)
Now oil consumption is showing up in the real world.
These/and other makes of engines are running a fine line to meet emissions and using thin piston rings for less friction (economy)
Alot of people are pussy footing the cars around doing their shopping and milk runs and not loading the engine up,rings arent doing their job
Answer is regular oil changes and a bit of lead footing :driving:

there is a saying called "putting it away wet" term comes from mistreatment of horses i think?

it means basically, thrashing the crap out of it and then just putting it away without warming it down. Firstly thrashing an engine when cold is bad ( I am guilty of this sometime).

you need to drive it normal til operating temps are reached, about 15-20 min for most engines. then trash it all you want.

Then good 10 min or more of normal driving to let temps normalize before shutdown, otherwise if we have hot areas that are let to heat soak and cool unevenly, that warps metal.

example I saw not long ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOWK2ecP5b4&feature=g-u