EV6 Fuel Injectors into 304

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
Chuff

EV6 Fuel Injectors into 304

Post by Chuff »

Hi All,

I've got a VP 304 Calais running a 1227165 ECM with OSE$12P code, CAI, headers, twin cats, full twin 2.25 inch system and Modeo thermo fans. Apart from that, everything else is pretty stock.

I have been thinking about upgrading the old EV1 style injectors with the later EV6 style before I start tuning it with the new NVRAM ECM Conversion & 14poin7 SLC OEM Eval Kit i've got coming. :thumbup:

Currently I am running the standard OEM Bosch injectors and from what I have read on the internet I believe I might be able to use either Bosch 0280155821 or 0280155844 injectors based partly on this document: http://apps.bosch.com.au/motorsport/dow ... ectors.pdf

I believe either of these 2 injectors should plug straight in?

I'm leaning towards the 0280155844 simply because they flow that little bit more, but I'm not sure if the OHMS Resistance difference would be a problem with my ECM. I have an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator already installed so can adjust down to 2.7 Bar to suit, which I believe would insure optimal optimisation of the fuel. Or would I be safer using the 0280155821 injectors which have the same OHMS Resistance as the OEM injectors?

Has anyone done anything similar, or know of someone who has?

Also, what values would I need to consider changing in the OSE$12P tune in order to accommodate EV6 injectors?

Thanks.
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
The1

Re: EV6 Fuel Injectors into 304

Post by The1 »

most ev1's are rated for 3bar and ev6's are rated for 3.5bar but atleast with ev6 they are made with a different pintal system so handle different pressures better without changing flow rate as bad as ev1's

you could have a look at the LS1 injectors, pretty much the same as the old bluetops. Should be this number 0280155890
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

The1 wrote:most ev1's are rated for 3bar and ev6's are rated for 3.5bar but atleast with ev6 they are made with a different pintal system so handle different pressures better without changing flow rate as bad as ev1's

you could have a look at the LS1 injectors, pretty much the same as the old bluetops. Should be this number 0280155890
Thanks The1.

The 0280155890 injectors are rated at 172 g/min & 12.0 OHMS whereas the OEM 0280150960 units are 150.5 g/min & 14.5 OHMS. Would this matter?

I've never used anything other than the standard OEM 0280150960 so I guess I'm looking for opinions from others who know more than me. My main objective is to hopefully get better fuel atomisation and economy/power as a result. Bigger flow rates won't come into play. Am I correct in my approach/thinking?

Thanks again for your help.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

so long as they are high impedance injectors they will be fine (eg more than 4 ohms or so). Those injectors will work fine. You will just need to change "Map A: Run A/F Param - Displacement/inj flow rate (Litres/Grams per sec)" to accomodate the new flow rate and fuel pressure. Usually its best to keep stock fuel pressure and then adjust the current value up or down in the tune by the % change in flow rate to begin with, then verify with the wideband and tweak to suit.

It is true that a better spray pattern may help a little, but IMHO I would not bother changing the injectors until you log duty cycles above 80% or have a mechanical problem with an existing one as I would not call it 'worth it'. But that is not to say you cant should you want to try it. Keep in mind that you are not injecting directly in to the cylinder, you are injecting behind the valves and the fuel sits there for a moment untill they open and it gets sucked in.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
The1

Post by The1 »

some others may chime in with there experience, my own experience EV1 vs EV6 on the vs v6's i have fitted vt-vy ev6 injectors, no huge measurable improvement in economy, main improvement was smoother running engine, if you notice a huge improvement in economy id say your old injectors were leaking.

the LS1 or similar injectors will be fine, they are all high ohm/impedance injectors, seeing you can change the line pressure, run it at the rated pressure then adjust your injector scaling in the tune to suit. The flow rate differences arn't huge.
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

Thanks antus & The1.

I've been doing some more reading and am inclined to agree that it may not be worth it.

Could someone clarify something for me. My current injectors have 4 holes in the pintle. Aren't the EV6 injectors the same, 4 holes? If so, I can't see there being any advantage, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks.
The1

Post by The1 »

the difference from memory is in how the fuel is directed out the nozzel, EV1 use a Pintal design, EV6 use director plate design

This Means EV6, can handle lower pulse widths and high duty cycle than EV1, which is why idle is smoother and more stable, it can handle varying line pressure without loosing performance of fuel atomization as the fuel is directed and not squeezed through a gap with the pin design, so if your fuel pressure is not running at what's specified for your EV1 injectors it's atomization performance will suffer.

EV14 is out now and is an improved version of the EV6
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

Thanks for the explanation The1, but I'm still a bit confused.

Looking at the tip of my current injectors I see 4 holes as can be seen on the right injector in this photo: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2319/206 ... f801_o.jpg

Yet the body of my injector is the EV1 as seen in this photo: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... ytbM0FtWxg

Does that mean my injectors are EV1 with a director plate design? :wtf:
The1

Post by The1 »

no exterior is the same with 4 hole design, it's all internal the changes.