Camira JE = Pulsar N13 = Astra LD. Yes or No?

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
Chuff

Camira JE = Pulsar N13 = Astra LD. Yes or No?

Post by Chuff »

Hi All,

I'm soon to be on the lookout for a JE Camira in order to rip off all the EFI gear to transplant to a 4 cylinder project I'm working on to convert from carby to EFI running OSE$12P code. I've been trying to determine if the Pulsar N13 & Astra LD use the same EFI hardware as the Camira JE. Looking at photos of each of the 3 engines on the internet shows they all look identical.

Are they? Have my options now opened up to include Pulsars & Astras?

Thanks.
˙ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ǝsǝuıɥɔ ɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹoɟ ʇɥƃıɹ ǝɯ sǝʌɹǝs
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Re: Camira JE = Pulsar N13 = Astra LD. Yes or No?

Post by festy »

The Pulsar/Astra isn't identical to the Camira, but just as good to use as a conversion.
The main difference would be the wiring harness uses different colours, but there's a pdf covering the Pulsar/Astra 12P wiring here somewhere.
I used an N13 loom/ecu on my Alfa becuase they're a lot more common in wrecking yards than Camiras these days.
jacomms
cars: Commodore's .....what else?? :-)

Post by jacomms »

Astra ECU was located under the front Pass seat.....Camira (from mem) is under glove box.

Astra was always a better loom as it had extra length to play with for conversions

Justin
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

pulsar is also under the seat. different factory memcal but thats not relevant. i also believe the je tb is mechanically different but electrically compatible from the other 2. as said, all are fine to use.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

So, from a donor vehicle point of view, in order to transfer all the EFI from one of these vehicles to a carby car, apart from the loom being different, all the other EFI hardware/sensors are the same and interchangeable between the 3 (with possibly the exception of the JE TB)?

Sound right?

Thanks.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

First off - the Astra is a re-badged Pulsar, so there's no difference between these two. They even use the same memcals.
Just watch out though, some were TBI.
The Camira's inlet manifold and throttle body are different to the pulsar's, and the distributor is different too.
The ignition module is the same though.
Injectors and fuel rail are probably different too, but all the sensors are standard so electrically interchangable.
The MAP sensor is riveted to the firewall, so take a cordless drill with you.
The TB is linkage operated (not cable) but uses the same sort of TPS and IAC as a VN so swapping to a larger TB is plug and play.

Middle TB is pulsar, RHS is v6 commodore

To remove the loom from a Pulsar/Astra, the ECU plugs are fed into the engine bay through the large grommet in the passenger side footwell.
It's a little fiddly, but there's no need to cut any wires to get it out.
The engine loom is seperate to the main body loom, the only thing extra in the engine loom is the wipers for some reason.
Power and ignition can be picked up at the white 12 pin rectangular plug about 1m up the loom from the ECU.

There's a post here detailing the full procedure for stripping the Pulsar's EFI hardware.
Chuff

Post by Chuff »

Thankyou everybody, especially festy for the previous post which pretty well answers everything I need.

Chuff