VS 5 Litre MAP

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
VX L67 Getrag

VS 5 Litre MAP

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I'm 99.9% sure & haven't actually seen the car yet but been told it has been converted to MAP!

Now I know these were originally MAF & think the only real option if it has been converted to MAP that its probably kalmaker?

I think it could have been converted to VR if repined & still retain Auto control, but unlikely?

Or even converted to $12p if older style auto or manual?

I forgot to ask what was the drivetrain so unsure even if auto or manual, but has a big cam & not idling the best & only around 7 inches of mercury at idle & rich as!

So it just needs a tickle up but if kalmaker I think I could be pushing the proverbial up hill, are all my thoughts most likely?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: VS 5 Litre MAP

Post by VL400 »

VS V8 series 1 and 2 were MAP from factory - manual uses the same ECU as a VR manual and auto uses the same PCM as VR auto. The bins are VS specific and different to VR. VS series 3 was MAF, it uses a PCM similar to the VT MAF PCM.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Oh cool thanks for that clarification VL400, fingers crossed if/when I see the car it's not a series 3!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if it is its probably going to be easier to tune than if its map :P

alot of the 5ltr's i've dealt with half the issue is the desired idle is too low, but yeah if its only got 7 inches of mercury i'd say the idle will be about 60-70kpa and hense the richness :)
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Nah, cause if it is series 3 it definately has a MAP sensor & not a MAF so it's been converted, I can possibly try & talk him into converting it back but I guess cross that bridge when/if I come to it!

& yeah totally true about where the map reference would be for low vacuum idle & richness!

P.S. I'm taking half the information I've got from another workshop that called me about it!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

My guess: if its 'converted' then its probably a series 1/2 computer in a series 3 car, or was series 1/2 to begin with and the 'conversion' info is not entirely accurate so if its manual then you could 12p it, and if its auto, then probably will have to stick with kalmaker or whatever is on there.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i'd hope its map cause i work better with map :P but i have fixed my brothers 355 S3 VS ute with very few changes and the maf seemed to have the rest under control!
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Oh yeah, never thought of simple s3 downgraded to s1 or s2, thanks for the idea antus!

Yeah 202T not too sure about the map Vs maf, I generally only deal with maf nowadays & is pretty basic in my opinion, but haven't tried tamming a wild cam with 1, but from my research it shouldn't be too hard!

I'll follow this post up if I hear from the owner, which I was already expecting to have so it doesn't look promising... BUGGER