4L60E gearbox controller

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
Jayme

4L60E gearbox controller

Post by Jayme »

ive been working on this in my spare time for a little while, due to a mate who has a v6 twin turbo drag car wanting to use a 4L60E but having trouble with shifting and manualising kits. so becuase of that, and that I just wanted somehting interesting to do in my spare time, I decided to have a crack at making something that would allow me to shift the gears electronically with buttons on the steering wheel. the result is my little arduino unit with a bit of simple code, 2 shifting buttons, a 7 segment display, and 3 solenoid drivers (thanks VL400). the idea was to connect to the two shifting solenoids and control them with the arduino. after a little research, I added a third to control the 3-2 downshift solenoid too. the display at the moment is blazingly simple... it just displays 1-4 on the display and the buttons shift either up or down, and the solenoid drivers change state to match that gear. for now the oil pressure solenoid remains disconnected, as that leaves the line pressure at full.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGWEtLOT4cc[/youtube]

recently I tried it on a real car, a old VR shitter that had seen better days, the gearbox wasnt terribly great... so it wouldnt matter if I stuffed something up :P so I made up a loom off an old auto loom and dymod up all the wire labels, and plugged it in. I was running out of light fast so the video isnt real good. it shifted exactly as intended, a little slow but this box is old and half stuffed... and there is no way that the controller is slowing anything down, the solenoid drivers are instant. it flared going into third a little bit, again probably due to the state of the gearbox. a quite interesting note is that this is mainly only useful for upshifts, as leaving the stick in D means there is no over run clutch engaged and no engine braking... you can shift it back and not feel a thing if you are off the pedal... this video was fun to make as I had the controller in a bucket at me feet and head to lean down to push the shifting buttons... forgot to rotate the phone too.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDPeMm2Ca8[/youtube]

so next steps are to connect up the range switches from the gearbox to my arduino so I can sense the stick position and have the controller just apply the solenoids to suit the stick position directly. then the up and down shift buttons are not needed really, but you will still be able to over ride the stick and shift into any gear below the current stick position using the buttons (great for drag racing). once ive written the code for that, ill use a curly phone cord to hook up the switches onto the steering wheel, and an ethernet cable to extend the 7 segment display to reach the dash.
:driving: then go and have some fun in the paddock.

eventually ill get a few proper pcb's printed up to make it nice and neat. it could be subject to feature creep too if I could be bothered :P the arduino has enough inputs to do RPM, VSS, and TPS too, which mean I could enable serial communicaiton and have tunable shifting tables and tunerpro logging too, but that sort of code is well beyond my abilities to write at the moment... so anyway, I know standalone controllers exist already, so im not doing anything new, but going out and buying a ready made working unit would be no fun now, would it :thumbup:
Holden202T

Re: 4L60E gearbox controller

Post by Holden202T »

nice work man :)
The1

Post by The1 »

awesome :thumbup:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

no-one is ever idle around this joint LOL love your work jayme
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah man we get bored easy so have to keep the projects rolling :)
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Nice work Jayme, good to see it all working on a car :thumbup:
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

quick update. the drag car this was intended for is going to race at stanthorpe on the 31st, so I got my ass into gear and did a bit more work on it. bit of a general tidy up of the pin headers and shorten some wires. needed a longer 8 wire screen cable, so hacked the ethernet port off a dead network card :D. also finished the range switch code so it will shift into whatever position you move the stick to, but also let you use the steering wheel buttons to shift into any gear below the current stick position. seems to work on the bench well, so sometime between now and the weekend ill take it back out to the VR and give it another run.
20130808_095309.jpg
20130808_095309.jpg (229.65 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
20130808_095228.jpg
20130808_095228.jpg (197.12 KiB) Viewed 9046 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

coming along nicely!
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Nice work jayme :thumbup:
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Its nearly factory, uses some ECU wiring :lol:

Bet the binary coded gear selector range switches made coding simple :thumbup: