Fuel Line & Pump Options

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Fuel Line & Pump Options

Post by yoda69 »

Slowly getting my act together to fuel inject my 351 Cleveland, has been running spark only 12P for a while and now have efi intake manifold, rails and injectors.
Looking at the fuel system from tank to rail, was wondering on peoples thoughts, so here is a base information.
* Want to be able to support ~400hp, so looks like 3/8 supply line should be sufficient
* Factory 351 so has 3/8 hard fuel lines from tanks (need to confirm), may use this as return line
* Unsure of pump, like Bosch but pumps are larger so have been looking at Walbro (genuine) as smaller package size, either a 190 or 255lph
* External or in tank pump, external looks a lot easier to plumb, but may require lift pump to feed
* Vehicle is pre 1975, so no charcoal canister, etc
* Vehicle is to be street driven and registered

Main question is whether to use rubber hose from the tank to engine fuel rail or stainless steel or aluminium hardline with a short rubber joiner similar to OE setup.

Also want a pump that is nice and quiet, have tuned a few efi retrofit vehicles and could hear the pump over the exhaust, have read that external pumps like to be pressure fed and can run quieter.
I know an intank pump would be quieter, but that means removing tank and cutting up a bit as fuel sender hole is too small to get a pump into the tank.
I looked at some efi falcon wagon lines but they had a kink around the passenger side rear footwell that would be directly above a dual exhaust. Was from chassis rail nearly into the driveshaft then about 400mm forward then back to the chassis rail. Also looked at their fuel tank setup but have a larger hole for the pump and mounted lower in the tank. Could possibly have my tank modified to suit, but thinking external pump will be easier. Have also seen people fit efi wagon tanks, but spare wheel then becomes a problem as they don't have a deep well.
Any thoughts appreciated.
:driving:
delcowizzid

Re: Fuel Line & Pump Options

Post by delcowizzid »

i run TRE performance 255l/hr pumps on all builds cheap and quiet http://treperformance.com/c-74278-fuel- ... s-tre.html they do a 340l/hr intank as well
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
EagleMark
cars: 1994 Buick RoadMaster LT1
1972 IH 345 16197427 PCM Project
1990 Chevy 1227747 HighWay Lean Cruise

Post by EagleMark »

No lift pump required if external placement is correct. As close to tank as possible, as low to bottom of tank as possible. Rubber hose from tank to inline filter, can be carb clear filter, loose the sock in tank, to pump, after pump should have EFI rated fuel filter. But after pump be careful and hard lines are safer and cheaper then EFI rated hose. The problem with after pump and safety of EFI hose is if there is a problem with return line? Pressure from pump to TBI can exceed standard carb fuel line.

3/8th feed and 5/16 return will be fine.

Walbro 255LPH external is good choice to keep that amount of HP feed!

Noise issues with external mounted pumps are usually amplified do to mounting. Place it on a frame rail and the entire frame rail from front to back will whine! The stock mounts work well but then isolate it to frame or mounting point with rubber bushing. Can also use black foam pipe insulation around pump to keep quite.

Without CCP you probably don't have a return line fitting? There are some on eBay that go in filler neck with return built in, or be creative...

Little more work but excellent choice is in tank. Take a look at this:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm- ... rsion.html
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Nice right up, I'll have to do some measuring and then check at the wreckers and see what I can find that might be suitable. Definitely an option that may be worth pursuing.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i never fit prefilters before the pump they block to easy and restrict flow greatly.ive had 2 cars lately that had flash speedflow prefilters and the pumps made horrible noises and pressure at the rail was all going up and down as the crap was washed in and out of the filter as the pump cavitated in the end the fuel pressure reading on the gauage would drop to 0 and they would struggle to idle.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I've had similar issues with my pre lift pump filter blocking and causing the surge tank to not fill! I've done away with it now! only have the post efi pump filter!
EagleMark
cars: 1994 Buick RoadMaster LT1
1972 IH 345 16197427 PCM Project
1990 Chevy 1227747 HighWay Lean Cruise

Post by EagleMark »

I too have had issues with pre filter and many times not? The ones that don't seem to ever cause issue are the ones that really don't filter much more then chunks!
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

You guys never have problems with damaging fuel pumps? If the pre filter is getting crap in it and you remove it then that's all going through the pump, no pump manufacturer will honor a warranty without using a filter...?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

fine particles block up injectors, a pump is a lot more tolerant to particles travelling through it, its just a turbine pump, not like a grain of sand is gonna smash the impeller to bits. as long as there s some sort of sock to stop rocks being sucked up should be fine.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the stuff i get in my system is like pocket lint! .... i've only ever seen it with methanol though.... pretty sure bosch doesn't cover methanol under warranty either :lol: