Leave Distributor Unmodified

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
Apples

Leave Distributor Unmodified

Post by Apples »

Hi,
This may help if you are unable to modify the distributor when converting to Delco system.
I have used this on several conversions in the past till I had time to covert the distributor.
If use this turn off all codes related to ignition control.
Apples
Delco STD Dizzy interface.zip
(71.75 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Leave Distributor Unmodified

Post by antus »

Does this interface the pulses from the coil back to the ecu so it can get enough of a timing reference to do fuel only? (but no spark control hence the need to masking the error codes?)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Apples

Post by Apples »

yes the interface provides the required timing reference the Delco requires for fuel only and yes reason for error masking.
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

apples pulls the trick out of the bag :D now this is the kind of things we want to see on this site this is great i reckon.good thread i say.hopefully XRpilot see's this and adds his how to use an optical sensor dizzy.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
XR Pilot
cars: Nissan Skyline wagon, ST162 Celica + MR2 turbo engine (project)

Post by XR Pilot »

Dude, its XR Pilot. But yeah, I'll post up a schematic once I've tested it (and verified that the fried module was indeed due to my laziness and not due to the circuit)
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

sorry mate hit the wrong button ive fixed it up now cant wait to see your trickery with the optical sensor
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
GONZO

Post by GONZO »

Not sure if this is the right thread but I have a question about a partial EFI conversion

If I was to connect a delco to an engine and didnt have time to modify the dizzy. Could I use a camira module as a "dumb" ign module?

Here is my plan connect the module as per usual, but disconnect the EST control wire, which would lock it in module mode. This would use the original mech/vac advance mechanisms. I intend to use electronic advance but wont have time to impliment this straight away. (I would also like to ensure I havn't introduced any gremlins as I go.)

I would like to hear your thoughts guys, anyone tried this?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

shouldnt be a problem as long as you mask the est error codes in the tune.it only takes a quick tack weld to lock the dizzy though :mrgreen: the timing control is where most gains are as well but it would work with just the centrifical advance and vacuam advance.as long as the dizzy behaves in a repeatable manor so its not out of sync with the ve table at any time hmmmm rate of acceleration etc may make the 2 get out of wack which would alter fueling a bit
GONZO

Post by GONZO »

It wont actually be running a computer, this will only be until I get a weekend off to put the manifold on and get the thing tuned. I felt it would be OK but wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious.

Cheers
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

from what i understand, without a signal from the ECM it will run in fixed 10 degree mode, so if you set your base timing then it should work like a normal dizzy just using the coil and ignition module from the camira .... ?