Innovate Wideband placement

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
vlv81
cars: VR SS
VL V8

Innovate Wideband placement

Post by vlv81 »

Another newbie question. I have an Innovate Motorsports wideband that I want to hook up. I've read posts on which pin to use etc and the manual gives me placement details but I'm wondering whether or not it matters whether the wideband is measuring just one bank on a V8 or whether I should mount it in the joined piece of the exhaust to get a measurement on both banks?

Cheers
Gareth

Re: Innovate Wideband placement

Post by Gareth »

Vacume leak on one side of the inlet manifold will cause two different mixtures, put a bung in each collector so you can swap from one to the other or even better, place it at the merge. (unless you are running a twin system)

Close to the engine is good for fast sensor warm up but remember that most dyno operators will sample only at the tailpipe, so placement close to the engine not that important?...

Hope that helps
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I generally put them in after the merge to get the reading from the entire motor, but if its not suitable to do that and you want to stick it in one side manifold that will still work ok, assuming the motor is not using sequential injection etc

if the injectors are all flowing the same and they are fired together then each cylinder should get the same amount of fuel ...... but stranger things have happened, theres always some little difference cylinder to cylinder!
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Thanks Biggvl and Holden202T I will try and get it mounted in the merge, probably the best solution as I'm running a single system in a VR V8
Helical
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)

Post by Helical »

Unless you're running dual cats into a single, then after the merge will mean it is after the cats and the reading might be out.
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Lucky to come from nz and have no cats :-)
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Woohoo fitted my Wideband sensor and gauge today. Managed to get it in the merge of the two front pipes so measuring the whole engine, rapt with that. I even managed to hook up the dimmer function on the gauge so I won't be dazzled at night. All I have to do now is get my NVRAM right and I'm off on the blacktop dyno to log and learn!
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Is it also wired to your ecu so the data is logged against MAP RPM etc?
vlv81
VL V8

Post by vlv81 »

Hi Dylan, no its not connected yet. I will be doing that in the coming weeks though. I have a wee problem with my NVRAM and once that is fixed I 'll hook it up so I can log it too. At the moment the dashboard gauge will do. I also have to do a bit more research on which pin to hook it up to so I can log it. Cheers
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I cant remember the pin number off the top of my head but its in the 12P download folder a text document named pinouts (or similair) its the pin next to the narrow band input anyway.