Holden V8 Ignition Modules

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Holden V8 Ignition Modules

Post by yoda69 »

Was wondering if anybody has used the rebuilt ignition modules being offered on eBay and if there had been any problems?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Commo ... TVJheii_9w

This guy offers several different rebuild options and "appears" to have a good understanding of them, or maybe just clever advertising.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Holden V8 Ignition Modules

Post by vlad01 »

I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

yoda69 wrote:Was wondering if anybody has used the rebuilt ignition modules being offered on eBay and if there had been any problems?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-Commo ... TVJheii_9w

This guy offers several different rebuild options and "appears" to have a good understanding of them, or maybe just clever advertising.
Yeah, he appears to be the guy to go to for modules. He upgrades the modules so they are better than what was originally produced.

I've spoken to him, seems to really know his shit (helped me diagnose issues).
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

vlad01 wrote:or you can just buy a new one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-VN-VP ... SwhcJWFmZA
Had thought about that but most stock will be getting old, especially as it's nearly 30 years since the first of the injected 5.0 litres first came on line. The beefed modules looked like a good idea, just wanted to know if it's all smoke and mirrors or if there is some merit to it.

The motor it's going in is fairly high compression and apparently made about 220kW at the wheels, has modified banana intake with larger throttle body, so will be a little more demanding on the spark than a stocky.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Would it be fair to that a module thats been on a motor running an MSD or similair igniton controller would last longer as it's not directly switching the coil?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yeah, I'd think so, with an MSD the module has just become a really fancy switch that's not having to handle many volt-amps as well as feedback from the coil.
hoopstar
cars: 350 Chev HR Holden (carby)
VK Calais with (soon) VR EFI 304

Post by hoopstar »

yoda69 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:just wanted to know if it's all smoke and mirrors or if there is some merit to it.
Apart from a new switching FET and a bias resistor change, they're all Smoke and mirrors... and lots and lots and lots of words.

I've had one on the bench doing a comparison to the stock unit... No difference in spark energy when using the stock coil.

Best bet is to pull yours apart, replace the electrolytic capacitor and re-solder all the dry joints and wire in a MSD6AL on there.