HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Re: Alternative EEPROMs

Post by HQ355 »

As long as psyolent stays away from the uv eraser
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

antus wrote:Yeah heat is your enemy big time. The fine interconnects in the chip from the legs to the top of the ic have nowhere to sink the heat and once that interconnect solder melts and the wire falls of that pin is dead forever. Best solder 1 pin at a time a few apart, apply as minimal heat as possible and put you finger on top of the chip to test how much heat its absorved. Once its warmed up more than your comfortable with wait a while and or blow some air across it to cool it down.

The ICs i linked above are for batches of 10. I just grabbed 50 for about $70au posted before dropping the link incase you guys cleaned them out but thats hard to beat.

I have a rhino 60 watt temp controlled iron, tend to run it at 330 degrees c, but can get away with as low as 290 though thats really on the limit. You really should use a temp controlled electronics fine tip iron for this type of work and keep the fat non temp ones for thick automotive wiring.

At a minimum something like this https://rhinotools.com.au/product/solde ... ation-48w/

I picked the next one up because i was a sucker for the lcd temperature read out but i cant find that one now. Was random but its been solid for a couple of years now.
I like the little battery soldering irons they sell at jaycar. Really easy to control the heat as they are push button and they have a really nice fine tip. cheap as chips too, like $13.

I also have a nice SMD station too, but the little battery ones are hard to beat for that sort of work.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah probably has an address line interconnect floating around inside the package across the other pins on one side.

I just grabbed this image randomly but it shows whats on the other ends of the pins. Once either end of one of these interconnects falls off your in trouble!
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
The1

Post by The1 »

ive been using Hako Soldering irons for years, i have the FX-888 at the moment, very good for $150, digital temp control to.

I just checked the old supplier i got all my SST27SF512 70ns chips from, they have more in stock the MTP labeled ones now, if people are interested ill do another group buy if we get 100 or more.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

How much will they be roughly?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

I'm really surprised you guys have had so much problem with overheating of chips during soldering. I can only guess the culprit is non-temperature controlled soldering irons. The chips shouldn't be that fragile. The bonding wires are not soldered to the silicon (nor the lead frame), they're welded, so they shouldn't detach with soldering heat. Finally, don't overlook the possibility of static damage.

Joe.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

other thing is the EEPROMS are solid encasing so the connections cant move. Yes they are welded.

Could be static, have killed components with heat before though. Mainly ICs and LEDs

My iron once has neutral shorted to earth so there was a leakage but that never hurt electronics but sure upset RCDs in some buildings lol
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

vlad01 wrote:other thing is the EEPROMS are solid encasing so the connections cant move. Yes they are welded.

Could be static, have killed components with heat before though. Mainly ICs and LEDs

My iron once has neutral shorted to earth so there was a leakage but that never hurt electronics but sure upset RCDs in some buildings lol
Yes, I'll admit to overcooking a BC108 transistor once, but that was very long ago when I had no soldering skills and my soldering iron had no temperature control ...

Joe.
The1

Post by The1 »

vlad01 wrote:How much will they be roughly?
Depends on quantity but need more than 100 to make it worthwhile.

Using DHL
100 $4.00 each
200+ $3.50 each

If i use China Post.
100+ $3.00 each
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I'll buy 50.